Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last weekend we were invited up to my nieces in-laws motel up the Poudre Canyon on the Poudre River. They don't rent out rooms anymore sort of a Family summer compound.
So, anyway my brother-in-law and I were just sitting down by the river watching the river go by, when our nephew-in-law comes up and asks us to play paint ball...capture the flag. We kept telling them NO!...for all the good that did.

The motel owns an island made in the middle of the river and the only way across is a rope bridge. That was an experience I hadn't done since boot camp in the '60's...

The island is maybe 300 yds long by 100 yds wide, heavily wooded, with a small hill in the middle...that is where the flag is placed on top of the hill.

My nephew-in-law and his two younger brothers and their friends plus my niece and their friends all made up the teams. Teams were chosen, Gary, my brother-in-law and I both ended up the same team...dressed in jeans, tennis shoes and a camo jacket they had at the motel...they do this a lot up there. Of course we got the crappy guns:) the cast offs when the young guys upgraded their weapons.

Gary and I are both vets, in our mid-60's...pretty hard to keep up with the under 30 crowd:) Of course we both must've had the sympathy pick as were the last chosen for the teams and ended up on the same team.

Rules were each team goes to one end of the island and when the horn sounds go for the flag. Gary and I are sneaky sobs, soon as the horn sounded we dropped along the river bank and crawled/walked until we were behind the opposing team. Dropped all of them before they even got close to the hill. Game two same thing. PO'd my nephew and two of his brothers. Gary nailed them before they got 30 yards:)

Game three we both charged for the hill took positions with clear shots at anyone approaching the hill...hit my niece and grand niece each 6 times as they were sneaking up the hill:sign0020: they had a heck of time washing the stuff out of their hair:)

Game four they got smart... nailed both of us put us out of the game.

I really did not want to play but glad I did had a lot of fun.

Paintball Wars...LOL... at 66...guess we're kids at heart.

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
And who thought you guys were picked last, bet that wont happen again next time.

If you get hit at close range they can bruise you up real easy, scares the heck out of the person especially if they do not see where it came from.

Goes to show a well planned fun for all game, except if your on the loosing side :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
fun to play use to play at a paint ball park in California and teams would be 25 each side boy dose it hurt like hell got shot once before on the forehead and had a bump size of a golf ball and playing all day 7am to 3 get some people would get bruise up on arms legs . I think the paint balls travel 200 mph

·
Registered
336 Posts
I actually went paintballing last Saturday for my nephew's 13th.

Walked away with 17 welts and only knew about 10 of them. Got hit twice on the hand (no gloves) within 10 seconds, swelled up like a son of a gun. Another time I was in the middle of the field putting pressure on the other team when 2 of them started to flank me on either side, so I started coming back in which case one of my teammates wasn't expecting me and shot my 7 times up and down the right side of my torso. Got a good shiner on my right shoulder from that.

It was my first time going, but the ref told me I was what he used to call a "tank" in the WoW (World of Warcraft) days. He'd never seen a guy get hit so many times and keep going on.

Good times!
-Brady

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,383 Posts
I used to play quite a bit- but now I'm too big a target, doubt I could run and my old gun is illegal in the organized locations because you can't adjust the speed on my old "Splatmaster".
But it sure was fun. And hit hard enough to leave a good sized welt. -You really didn't want to get hit! Which added to the thrill I think.

In the last couple years, the popularity of airsoft has surpassed paintball in this area.

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
have always wanted to, but know that it won't happen. :damnmate:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a couple pretty good size welts on both arms and one thigh from close range shots during our last game...we must've been hit 20-30 times each when they ambushed us; we both had lime green splotches all over us...getting hit does sting:sign0020:
My niece and her husband and their friends and Claytons brothers and their friends and girlfriends play often at a couple of paintball parks in the area summer and winter. A few of them even have scopes on their guns.
Each team used different color ammo theirs was lime green ours was bright orange and everyone was equipped with a helmet and facesheild.
Clayton's dad acted as referee and he is the one that set up the rules of the game...basically 3 hits to your leg you can't move, 3 hits to an arm you lose use of that arm, 5 hits to torso or back your 'dead', capture the flag, return it to your base and hold it for 5 minutes...games over.
We did have a lot of fun playing but it really is tough on a couple old farts to go running around in the woods, crawling, etc. :sign0020:
Gary and I 'retired' to our chairs on the river after our last game, had a few beers and watched the kids continue playing...enjoyable weekend:)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I went through a Special Ops entry/building search school once where the instructor would freeze the paintballs. If you got hit it would cause a large blood blister. He said he wanted to "make you not want to get shot". It sure kept everybody from playing around. It was a looooong week. :flag6: Blake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts