Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey fellas, I have used the search feature but couldn't nail it down so here goes. Looking for anyone with similar setup to what's below. I am looking for widest wheel tire combo, offset, backspacing for '57 210 2dr sedan:

17" WHEEL UPFRONT:
wilwood 12.19 discs + heidt's 2" drop spindle kit, 1.5" lowered CPP springs,stock control arms, ridetech RQ air shocks. Looking for some sidewall like 45-50 series (no rubber bands :) ).

18" WHEEL REAR:
Stock rear end, Wilwood 12.19 rotors, 2" drop leaf springs, ridetech RQ air shocks. What is the widest tire that will fit without doing minitub or pocket kit?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Backspacing for 17" on lowered '57 210

The 57 is in the shop now and before it comes off the lift the 15's on there have to be replaced with wheel tire combo to fit the wildwood calipers (see first post). I do not know the offset of the 15's on there now (maybe 4"?).

Can you have too much backspace on a 17x7" wheel at the lowered front end?

Because no one has "test fit wheels" to try I have to get this right the first time and bring wheels and tires to shop. If I had to do it today I think the magic number would be 4.75" backspacing. Tire size would be a 215, 225 or 235 size. Is this right?

FRONT END MEASUREMENTS (plumb bob method):
Wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface = 60"
Inner fender lip to lip = 71"

Anyone?

·
Registered
626 Posts
This is what I've got....hope it helps.
Don't know if there is a difference with the '57.

Front- Coys C-5 17x7 with 4.5" rear spacing
245\45\17 Maxxis (25.6" dia.) 9.6" wide
Front stock coils cut 1/2 coil or 3/4 coil (can't remember).
Heidts 2" spindle
Addco sway bar
Sensatrac shocks
Wilwood 12.19" discs- these were from HotRods USA with their zero off-set brackets that will not put the wheels into the fenders.

Rear- Coys C-5 18x8 with 5" rear spacing
255\45\18 Maxxis (27.4" dia.) 10.5" wide
Lowered rear leafs with 1" lowering blocks
Addco rear stabilizer bar
Sensatrac shocks
Soon to install Cal Tracs
Wilwood 12.19" discs with built in e-brakes
Ford 9" rear narrowed 2" These wheels were once on the stock drum '56 rear and fit good if i wanted to squeeze my fingers between tire and 1/4 panel to wipe tire side walls. No inboard spring kit, all stock location.

Car rides and handles great with no rubbing anywhere.

One picture shows that the front and rear wheels tuck in nice and even. Very happy with results.

:blowtiedb:

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not sure about the spacing outward of other Wilwood kits for the front, or the spacing out on the rear with the stock rear.
These will be key factors of wheel rub.

I was told that Hot Rods USA is out of business.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
You are correct about Hot Rods USA being out of business. For a long time now.

The info you want should be available directly from Wilwood, or even Heidt's.

I think a 7" width with 4.5" backspacing is where you want to be. I am assuming that the Wilwood/Heidts package has a similar wheel mounting surface as their minimal brake package. (And I think it's pretty close to that.) Also, you can get up to a 5" back space with a billet wheel with a "fat lip" on a 17 x 7.

At some point, more backspacing means that the tires hit the frame when turning instead of rubbing the fenders. And going from 4.5" b/s to 5" may be close to the tipping point. This will depend on how tall the tire is also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for help guys. 210 sportecoupe your measurements will help a lot. My plan is to check the rub factor on the wheels as it sits, determine the current wheels backspace via measurement then talk with discount tire about backspacing options. My guess is 4.5 or 4.75" BS is where I will want to be for the new front wheels. I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
Wayne, be aware that 4.50" or more backspacing with a 17 x 7 rim is usually not an "off the shelf" wheel - you may have to special order or get a billet wheel which is always custom order.

Just so you aren't surprised at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Happy my info can or may help you out.
Rick L knows his stuff, he's helped me out more than he may think.
I always search for info and read his posts.
Awesome people here willing to help.

bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
626 Posts
My plan is to check the rub factor on the wheels as it sits, determine the current wheels backspace via measurement then talk with discount tire about backspacing options.

Just asking....
How can you check the rub factor with 15" wheels?
With 12.19" brakes you need a minimum 16" wheel to fit over the brakes.
I may have missed something.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
You can do it by leaving the calipers off. Of course you can't drive it - you just have to estimate what it's going to do but at least you get a visual. You could remove the spring too and get a pretty good idea of what happens if it's lowered or hits a bump.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
You are correct about Hot Rods USA being out of business. For a long time now.

The info you want should be available directly from Wilwood, or even Heidt's.

I think a 7" width with 4.5" backspacing is where you want to be. I am assuming that the Wilwood/Heidts package has a similar wheel mounting surface as their minimal brake package. (And I think it's pretty close to that.) Also, you can get up to a 5" back space with a billet wheel with a "fat lip" on a 17 x 7.

At some point, more backspacing means that the tires hit the frame when turning instead of rubbing the fenders. And going from 4.5" b/s to 5" may be close to the tipping point. This will depend on how tall the tire is also.
Dean Oshiro went under some time ago. According to many websites their are scores of people he owes money to, especially on the Corvette forums. There are no Wilwood zero offset kits, not from Hotrods USA or Wilwood. Brackets don't determine zero offset, hub placement does, brackets just locate calipers on rotor

·
Registered
626 Posts
Dean Oshiro went under some time ago. According to many websites their are scores of people he owes money to, especially on the Corvette forums. There are no Wilwood zero offset kits, not from Hotrods USA or Wilwood. Brackets don't determine zero offset, hub placement does, brackets just locate calipers on rotor
I guess I lucked out and with Dean and Allan when I ordered my stuff.
They were a big help at the time and I didn't get ripped off.

I guess about the zero offset, when I assembled my brakes and rotors, my rotors were rubbing on the front surface of the Heidts spindle.
Tight clearence between spindle casting and inside of rotor brake pad surface. Rotor cannot get any tighter.
I don't think judging by my pictures that my Wilwood fronts space my wheels out the common 7/8" like some suggest in other posts.
Maybe it is in the hub :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I guess I lucked out and with Dean and Allan when I ordered my stuff.
They were a big help at the time and I didn't get ripped off.

I guess about the zero offset, when I assembled my brakes and rotors, my rotors were rubbing on the front surface of the Heidts spindle.
Tight clearence between spindle casting and inside of rotor brake pad surface. Rotor cannot get any tighter.
I don't think judging by my pictures that my Wilwood fronts space my wheels out the common 7/8" like some suggest in other posts.
Maybe it is in the hub :dontknow:
7/8" is the Chevelle rotors, nothing similar to drop spindles. If you have Wilwood on Heidt's spindles you are probably around 1/2" out, maybe a little less. But those are just numbers, what does it matter if it's working on your car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts