Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on re-installing the 283 and trans that I removed from my Turquoise 57' in the 57' 210 I bought. Since I have the engine out I figured I should replace the freeze plus prior to re-installing it. Today I knocked out the six freeze plus on the sides and fron of the block and found it stuffed with black sludge. I have been driving it for four years with no overheating trouble so I am suprised to find this. The antifreeze I drained out still looked OK.

Is there an easy way to flush this out prior to installing new freeze plugs? Should I just try to run water thru the holes? I know this is going to make a real mess!

Thanks in advance for any info. Don

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
finallyhavea57 said:
Anyone have a good way to flush a 283 block?
My first thought was you'd need a really big toilet...

Take it to an engine shop and have it cleaned...

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
My boat has a 350 in it and when I pull it to do some work I found the same thing. I picked around in the holes with what ever I could get in them and then used a hose with a pointy nozzle on it to pressure wash it out. Also don't forget the plugs in the back of the block it's much easier to do it now than in the car and also use brass plugs. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
With all the plugs out use a pressure washer. Thats what I did and it worked great. Put the wand in one of the holes then blast in every direction you can, then move on to another hole and do the same thing:anim_25:

·
Administrator
68,068 Posts
I only seen it pulled apart in a large parts washer, the pressure washer may work with an added degreaser if you could attach hot water instead of cold it may loosen the black sludge easier :anim_25:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dilute some CLR into like 2 gallons of water, and pour that thru the thermostat housing first, let it sit for an hour or so, then hit it all with a pressure washer, getting the wand as far into the block as you can, and twisting it to all angles. The CLR will dissolve a lot of stuff that's attached too hard for the pressure washer to break loose.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dilute some CLR into like 2 gallons of water, and pour that thru the thermostat housing first, let it sit for an hour or so, then hit it all with a pressure washer, getting the wand as far into the block as you can, and twisting it to all angles. The CLR will dissolve a lot of stuff that's attached too hard for the pressure washer to break loose.
Sounds like good suggestions. Going to get messy but what the heck. Just don't want to put a dirty engine into the 57' 210 I am going to sell.

Don

·
Registered
839 Posts
I attached a length of steel brake line to my blow gun. in addition to the pressure washer. i ran the tube deep into the block and really churned up the crud. the brake line is small enogh to get around the cylinders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts