Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The hood scoop of choice that makes the 55 look so good is the American Graffiti style. The same goes for the 56. I've done a search for 57's with scoops and most don't have one.

I currently have a fake scoop on my hood, but now I'm wanting a real one. I installed a big block and with my hillborn style air cleaner, the hood won't shut. I've found another hood, so hacking it up isn't an issue now. I'll store my original hood.

Would the graffiti style scoop look good on a 57? I want to keep the 60's era look.

Thanks for your time,
Joe

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
The problem with the 57, in my opinion is it gets a little busy with the rockets and a scoop. But if you like it ....go for it. It is your car.
Jim

·
Powder Coating Tech
924 Posts
I will be putting a fiberglass hood with a cowl induction scoop on my 57, but it is prostreeted and will only ad to the effect. I will not need it but it will have twin turbos on it and I really don't thing someone is going to complain about my hood :rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Many years back I crewed on an East Coast gasser that had been shipped to the UK in the early seventies. It had a tilt front, rockets deleted and rounded off, with an early Mopar pro stock scoop. Suited the car perfectly. I can post a pic if you need one.
The style of scoop is still available from Speedway, listed on their website as a 'Pro stock hood scoop'.
I realise that it may be a few years later than the style you are after.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you saying these cars come with hoods? :rolleyes: Just joking I got a hood. :happy0030: You might wanna look at racingjunk for pictures of 1957 dragcars that might have some good ideas. Me personally I like the old shaker style scoops and low cowl scoops. First I would cut the spare hood enough to clear the hillbourn and set the hood on and see. Alot of drag cars 55 56 57 look real good with a hole in the hood and the engine showing.:anim_25::bowtier: What does not look good on a street car IMHO: 10' cowl hoods, pro stock hood scoops, 1 foot difference in bumper height, different colors flowers hand painted (Tell'em heck yeah it's art, how bout go put that rig in a gallery before it causes a salvage title), 25 plus pounds fake gold(Some gold trim makes a car nice though), and worst of all a square snorkle hood scoop that is taller than the roof of the vehicle. That is a list of things I have seen and wonder why, while listening to the jokes of others making fun of those rigs.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think most would agree the 57 hood would be crowded with the rockets and the scoop.

I had thought about sticking my Hillborn style scoop thru the hood. I would need to install a longer neck on the air cleaner to raise it up more.

The Hillborn scoop may cost me some horsepower, but it's no concern. The engine is on the mild side and if I ever raced it I would take it off.

Thanks again,

Joe

·
Registered
247 Posts
Joe go to the Bluegrass Dragway Reunion web site. I think they have a picture of a 57 sedan delivery that ran G/MP class with a cool air scoop. I think it was called a Grumpy lump design that Bill Jenkins had on his 68 Camaro back in the day.:bowtieb:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,876 Posts
From a Project X article: http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/1950-1959/top-1957-Chevrolet-Project-X.htm

On the hood, the iconic “gun sight” ornaments were removed and their housings enlarged by 50 mm. They now serve as ram air induction inlets, feeding a custom air box mounted to the underside of the hood. When the hood is closed, the air box fits over the Anniversary 427’s carburetor, which is fitted with an L-88-style flame arrestor.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
The only scope I've seen on a 57 and liked was actually made with the use of the rockets. I'll do some more searching see if I can find the site. Perhaps chevynut will read this I believe he gave the site location once before. I think it was from an oregon based shop

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
I think a scoop can be added to a '57 with the rockets.
I'm having a scoop fabricated by a member with some pretty awesome metal working skills.
The plans have changed a bit now, but this is an earlier concept:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
So you guys are saying the majority of you don't like my cowl scoop hood?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies and pictures everyone. I'll go to the Bluegrass raceway site and look for the 57.

I need to decide what I'm going to do. I want to have my car ready come spring.

Thanks everyone,

Joe

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I am developing a scoop along the lines of RJ's. The outer edges of mine will be on top of the rockets and have the opening designed to let the heat out of the engine bay, Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Are you looking to go old school? A lot of guys used to run the Pontiac Super Duty / Ford Super Duty scoops on tri-fives.

Early 60's Ford big trucks (Super Duty dump trucks and similar) had a bolt on scoop that faced the rear with a nice grill and mesh. Pontiac bought them from Ford and put them on the 1963 Catalina's, or sold them under a GM part number or something like that...

Anyway, I've always thought one of these would be really nice to have. As I understand it, Pontiac didn't use the grill or mesh that Ford offered with the scoop.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/hppp_0712_1961_pontiac_tempest_wagon/photo_03.html

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Joe, see if you can google an Aussie movie made in the early 1980's called Running on Empty. The main car is a 57 with a scoop. I will try to dig the DVD out and post the picture if I can find it. P.s movie is really average but some of the cars are good as well as some of the characters.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
Here is a mustang scoop I bought(30$) to try but will not be using. It is not open at the back, Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I got a couple spare hoods in the deal when I purchased my 150 Wagon from my friend Steve.

One of the hoods came off a drag car. It had a tall scoop attached. I removed the scoop, so I could store it better. The hood has a large hole in the center that the scoop covered. Both rockets were removed and the holes fill.

I was considering buying a glass cowl scoop from Summit Racing to use on this hood. Then I was going to bolt the hood to my latest toy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts