Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on the Tracfone Facebook site. Wonder if there were any accidents attributable to it.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
We were watching an old Perry Mason rerun the other day and Paul Drake was on his car phone talking to Della. He was parked at the curb, though.

:anim_32:

Harry

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,158 Posts
Was watching an old re-run of Peter Gunn and he had a car phone circa 1959! It wasn`t a radio, he called an operator from a car phone and had them dial the number. How cool was that in the 50`s!

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,158 Posts
I do! I have no idea why I saved it but I put it away years ago for a rainy day.It looks like an old princess phone and has two channels.Are you interested?

I might be interested....if it is for sale...
Just found this on the internet..very interesting...
http://www.wb6nvh.com/Carphone.htm

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Had one in my car 20 years before Cell phones were common place...

Found this on the Tracfone Facebook site. Wonder if there were any accidents attributable to it. [/IMG]
....And never had one incident talking while driving... yes sir, long before the advent of the Common Cell Phone everyone has today, I had an Avocado Green Rotary Dial Phone in my Car since 1975. You dialed it just like a regular phone while in town, but when you were out in the back country, you had to use the "Roam" feature to punch through all the Roam Channels to locate a dial tone, when you got a Green Light, then you could either dial the number or have the Operator dial it for you.

Also, when Roaming, when searching through the channels, you'd often stumble onto other phone conversations in progress, just like a Party Line... and sometimes on a long late night 3 hour drive home I would put the phone on speaker and listen into those conversations to keep me awake!!! And let me tell ya, sometimes they got pretty wild and entertaining :rolleyes: it was really funny listening to the drama...:sign0020:

I upgraded to a push button car phone in 1981 (funny, the ring tone sounded like a James Bond 007 phone...:sign0020:) I had a phone in my primary vehicle until 1996 when Cell Phones finally became reliable and the batteries would last longer than a couple hours....:tu:tu:tu an the old car phones swiftly became obsolete... :rolleyes:

Below is a picture, couldn't find a picture of one that was Avocado Green exactly like mine, but this is just like it other than the color...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,158 Posts
..... yes sir, long before the advent of the Common Cell Phone everyone has today, I had an Avocado Green Rotary Dial Phone in my car..

Cool! I think that would be a great option to have in a classic car. More "gee whiz" factor than a tissue dispenser.:sign0020:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought this Iphone dock cuz i was going to use it in my 60 tbird but then i got the Iphone 5 and it has a different charging input than pervious iphones. so now i got expensive ipod charger that doesn't work as a phone.

It connects with Bluetooth and is a cordless phone, i even had an app that came up as a rotary dial.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've only seen one of them in person. I went with a customer to look at an old 2 door Chrysler Imperial yup just like the Green Hornets car, that thing was bitchin cool. We were poking around the car it had been sitting for over 35 years or so at the time and was full of dust, I looked in the front of the car and noticed some sort of mount on the floor so curious me I start following the wires and they go back to the trunk. I get the keys an open the trunk and there is this big old box and I find the handset off to the side. The guy who showed us the car said it belong to is dad who used to be a banker so I guess back then you had to be someone to have a car phone. Mu customer didn't buy the car but I did offer to buy the phone from the guy just to have it in waiting room as a conversation piece no pun intended.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
I bought this Iphone dock cuz i was going to use it in my 60 tbird but then i got the Iphone 5 and it has a different charging input than pervious iphones. so now i got expensive ipod charger that doesn't work as a phone.

It connects with Bluetooth and is a cordless phone, i even had an app that came up as a rotary dial.
Where did you get that? That's cool. :tu

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My Dad and his partner had a GE two-way radio dealership and besides just installing two-way radios the also began selling and installing the GE MTS in-car phones starting in the late '60s. Dad had one in his truck for several years...you think losing cell signal is bad these radio/telephones were horrid, dip down a road and the signal was often lost...plus they were quite costly to use; you were charged per call, connected or not, plus a Telephone company monthly bill and a repeater/service monthly bill for tower use. Dad's company sold, installed and serviced the phones and had several repeater towers in the foothills and out on the eastern CO plains; signal here was often better than in an urban environment despite the open spaces since radio/telephone signal depended upon line of site between the unit and the repeater towers.

When they sold the company when they decided to retire my brothers each took some of the old stock around the shop. My brother Ron has a couple of the early GE MTS phones, circa 70-71, one new complete with power pack(size of an old two-way radio amp if you've seen them, trunk mounted) and phone head unit, the other is just the phone head unit they look like this one below

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rotary car phone

My Dad and his partner had a GE two-way radio dealership and besides just installing two-way radios the also began selling and installing the GE MTS in-car phones starting in the late '60s. Dad had one in his truck for several years...you think losing cell signal is bad these radio/telephones were horrid, dip down a road and the signal was often lost...plus they were quite costly to use; you were charged per call, connected or not, plus a Telephone company monthly bill and a repeater/service monthly bill for tower use. Dad's company sold, installed and serviced the phones and had several repeater towers in the foothills and out on the eastern CO plains; signal here was often better than in an urban environment despite the open spaces since radio/telephone signal depended upon line of site between the unit and the repeater towers.

When they sold the company when they decided to retire my brothers each took some of the old stock around the shop. My brother Ron has a couple of the early GE MTS phones, circa 70-71, one new complete with power pack(size of an old two-way radio amp if you've seen them, trunk mounted) and phone head unit, the other is just the phone head unit they look like this one below

Do you, or anyone you know still have one of these rotary car phones? I am looking for one. Mike, 314-728-0000

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Don't know about accidents,but that phone cord
was probably used to strangle "back seat drivers"
once in awhile.:sign0020:
Never saw a phone like that . Our Old PD radio mic cords looked just like that . We got used to driving , radio and spotlight looking for addreess's at night. You would be surprised how many folks can't multi task like Cops do. We saw many a Rookie who could not drive and pick up the radio mic at the same time. Funny, strange call it what you will. Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.