Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built this one to use as a cam break-in and test stand. I made it with some spare parts that I had. Bought the oil pressure gauge, a relay, new battery cables and a boat gas tank, the rest is old used parts. The rad is from my old 454 pickup, so it's huge. I poked a hole in it somewhere along the line so I'll have to get that fixed.

I ran the fresh .060 over 350 that I built for my cousin today and all went well. There is a choke cable for the throttle so I can keep the rev's constant. Dual electric fans from a '95 Caprice. It will come apart for some refinements (grinding and painting) but I couldn't wait to try it out!

Here's a video of it running today.

http://flic.kr/p/8AvDy4

This thing is going to get a lot of use, and it's kinda cool!

Later,

Mike

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,746 Posts
Mike....I made one simular....However, I put a bellhousing on it for safety reasons....Didn't like the idea of that flywheel being exposed.
to me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your stand looks great. I like the handle on the back. I need to add something like that to mine. Looks like yours might be more universal (other brands of engines). Up until recently I only had Chevs. But now I am building a Nailhead (I think it's similar on most holes - it has a turbo 400) and an FE352... nothing normal there!

Now that the engine that is on the stand is broken in, I'll fix all the cosmetic stuff on the stand before I put the engine for my '55 on it. I would like to brake it in with the fenderwell headers, but I don't have mufflers... it might get a wee bit loud.:D

Let us see what yours looks like when it's finished.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
So I assume that the engine will mount to the rear using the original Engine mounting (bell housing bolts), and then added support at each side going from the side engine mounts to the frame is that correct? Nice plan..I need to make one myself and would love to se your finished product (so I can steal..ummm copy your ideas)..LOL

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,145 Posts
I have a test stand as well I have a radiator a black magic fan autometer gauges a 5 gallon fuel tank and a charging system . I have used it for 3 engins so far and it is great . plus it is fun hearing a loud engine:happy0030::happy0030::happy0030::happy0030::happy0030:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.