Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am heading home this weekend to finish off the drivetrain of the 55 (and take it for a no window drive around the lot) and one of my to-do's is cutting the steering stops to increase the turning range of my rack. note I have the 2" drop spindles wtih integrated steering arms

does anyone have a pic of what they did to their car? I am a little nervous to cut without seeing an example first.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
STOPS??

I think I'd take the spindles off the car and have new tie rod hole machined (these are tappered) closer to centerline of spindle. Cutting the stops won't help turning radius any.

·
Registered
36,123 Posts
"note I have the 2" drop spindles wtih integrated steering arms"

Integrated steering arms or integrated caliper brackets?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Run the rack out to the stop (hitting), then remove the tie rod end from the arm, and turn the rack further if possible (to see your gain, if any).

My point being, if you cut the stop off, you might end up hitting/rubbing the a-arm with the wheel/tire, possibly.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) Garrett, can you put your car on a lift or up on jacks so you can move the tires fully left and right (back and fourth) ? If you can, check out how much room you have before the tire could make contact with the inner fender. This will give you some idea of how much room you have to play with.
The tire 'stops' can be ground off a little at a time so that you can see what affect it might have on rubbing etc.
Ground about 50% off my '56 with 2" dropped spindels.

Hope this helps answer your specific question, sorry no photos.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have an extra set that I had cut some of the stop off of. It gave it about another 1/4 turn of the steering wheel each way. If you want them, pm me and I'll sell them to you cheap.

-b

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey guys, thanks for the help. I will check to make sure the rack has more movement, but I would be very surprised if it didn't as the turning radius would be brutal.

I will also check with the tire on to make sure I have room on the fenders, etc... dont want to cause damage after cutting the A-arms,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts