Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KKTV tv channel just posted a pict of a black 56 2 door post Bel Air setting up to the headlights in water.( My daughter has a house there that's why I follow the news there. )If you know bad weather is coming why not take care of your stuff before it's to late ?????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
file:///C:/Users/Doug/Pictures/%286%29%20KKTV%2011%20News.htm..... maybe this link will work ,,,maybe not.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
How high's the water momma? Five feet high and rising.

·
Premium Member
13,592 Posts
There's one situation that's enough to make a guy cry!
Gawd I hate seeing that.
And HOW IN THE WORLD did it end up in THAT position anyway????

·
Registered
67,729 Posts
very sad. ..................... prayers for all out there. :p3:

·
Registered
203 Posts
We just escaped out of....

Estes Park, Co. yesterday. Didn't dare go south on I25. Huge mess will take a long time to recover all up and down the front range. There were a couple of spots where we had to tuck in behind a snow plow and cross in low areas in the plow's wake. That was a first. Never thought I'd be glad to get back to heat and drought in Texas, but here we come!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It sucks out here, literally...every river, creek and ditch is flooding from the mountains down to the plains. Major highways and roads are closed all over the front range and out into the plains. Bridges closed or washed out, roads closed, thousands homeless due to their homes being flooded, towns isolated and cut off.
Often times lately people barely have a chance to get to high ground to save themselves when a flash flood hits, let alone their possessions due to the flooding that happens so fast...don't blame the owner of that '56 he may have thought it was safe...until you've been in that position you can't pass blame.:)
...and that is not the only custom car lost over this last week of flooding here.

We have a major river 2mi south of us just over a rise, the S. Platte. The river is normally just a mild slow flowing body of water...right now it is nearly 10ft over flood stage( which is 10', that's almost 20ft of water flowing)and is raging, it has overflowed it's banks, is now about 6-8ft deep and over a 1/2 mile wide in some places. Hundreds of homes and businesses lost, thousands homeless due to their homes being flooded out from the mountains out to the plains from the northern part of the state to the southern....

It is bad to say the least....:p3:
I grew up out here and I've never seen it rain for so long and for so hard here as it has here for the last week.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Estes Park, Co. yesterday. Didn't dare go south on I25. Huge mess will take a long time to recover all up and down the front range. There were a couple of spots where we had to tuck in behind a snow plow and cross in low areas in the plow's wake. That was a first. Never thought I'd be glad to get back to heat and drought in Texas, but here we come!
You'd of never gotten down Big Thompson Canyon on 34. The highway east from Estes down the canyon is washed out in numerous places down to Loveland...for those who don't know Estes Park is in the mountains directly west of I-25, the major n/s highway in the state. I-25 has been closed off and on just south of the city of Loveland to both n/s bound traffic because of flooding from the Big Thompson river flowing over the interstate up to a ft or more deep and debris piling up along the bridge supports.

Glad you made it out safely!

·
Premium Member
13,592 Posts
I have relatives in several different locations around Colo. Some even live in Colo Springs. Haven't heard anything from or about them and I'm getting rather concerned.

As Gary (G.R.) said the Platte, both N and S are usually a placid slow moving "rivers" that in a lot of places you can just wade across. If they are now running at 10 to 20ft deep that's HUGE!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
You'd of never gotten down Big Thompson Canyon on 34. The highway east from Estes down the canyon is washed out in numerous places down to Loveland...for those who don't know Estes Park is in the mountains directly west of I-25, the major n/s highway in the state. I-25 has been closed off and on just south of the city of Loveland to both n/s bound traffic because of flooding from the Big Thompson river flowing over the interstate up to a ft or more deep and debris piling up along the bridge supports.

Glad you made it out safely!
Thanks, we got out down 7, then 72, then 119 thru Blackhawk, finally I70. Took 3 1/2 hrs to get to I70!

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
It looks like a pretty nice car too...did it float from somewhere nearby where the owner parked?...from a house?...couldnt have been in a garage. Really bad seeing it....wondered what happened to it?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It looks like a pretty nice car too...did it float from somewhere nearby where the owner parked?...from a house?...couldnt have been in a garage. Really bad seeing it....wondered what happened to it?
There was a photo in this weekends newspaper of a newer Crew Cab pickup. It had floated downstream nearly a mile before being lodged against a bridge after being pushed out of a carport on the side of a house by the water, this according to an interview with the owner.
One can not begin to fathom the power of a flooding river especially one nearly 10 ft over flood stage. Flood stage is 10ft for the Platte, and the Corps of Engineers years ago built earthen berms to hold the water in the channel from the town of Johnstown out to Kersey to the east of us...the berms failed all along the river and the force of the flooding has caused the river to form new channels.
There is an old saying about the S.Platte river from the early settlers, "an inch deep and a mile wide":). This week it looked like a tumbling, fast moving mountain river with rapids and all... up to 10ft deep or more in places and almost 1/2 wide.
As a kid we used to goof around on the Platte, you could wade across the river most of the time with the water only up to to your knees or waist at most. It is not that placid river anymore.
As of this morning the river is receding and is about at flood stage

1 - 19 of 19 Posts