Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone who has done the conversion of an S10 T5 into a tri-five with a 235 straight six. Want to pick your brain about a few details. I know the S10 T5's are not recommended behind V8s but they should be fine behind the 6. Thoughts?

J

·
Registered
37,258 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem, it should bolt right up. You'll need to use an S10 clutch disc, and you'll probably have to shorten the driveshaft and get a new front yoke. I've not done it, but unlike other T5's, the shifter on the S10 trans should clear your seat. In fact some guys put an S10 tail housing and shifter on the Camaro T5s to fix the shifter location problem.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Sounds like a very good swap, the 235 power output matches the T-5 durability. Like Rick stated you will need to a 26 spline clutch disk.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a very good swap, the 235 power output matches the T-5 durability. Like Rick stated you will need to a 26 spline clutch disk.
Yes I agree the setup should be very compatible. I am mainly looking for some info on exactly what trans gear configuration people went with, 1st and OD are the main differences it looks like and what rear end R&P gear they are running. I've got lots of friends telling me not to waste my time on the S10 trans, thinking I may go to a V8 in the future, but I really am going to keep the six cylinder in the car and can't justify the additional money for a Tremec. Also plan on doing the Dakota Digital dash in my car and wondering if the electronic speedometer output that came on some of these transmissions will work with that setup. The transmissions with the mechanical speedometer seem to sell for more. If I am going to end up with an electronic speedometer anyway it might make sense to go that route.

Any insight into these issues is much appreciated.

J

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Sorry, I do not know anything about digetal dashes and electric speedos. I really like the 55/56 dash in my cars and would never consider modifying it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the Trans Am t-5 in my 55 with the s-10 tail housing with electric speed generator and Dakota digital dash and all is well.:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
http://www.britishv8.org/articles/borg-warner-t5-id-tags.htm

This is how i set up my t5's. on the stock 327 i ended up with a 6 cylinder t5 with 4.03 first gear on 2.73's. = 11 for launch. good with low torque, car moves from gearing. with my 350 i ended up with a v-8 t5 with a 2.95 first gear on 3.73's inthe rear. which also equals 11 for launch. much more than that and it starts turning into a granny gear. less and you need more street torque to move on hills. some people say 10 is good, but i prefer 11, plus you always have overdrive as well. the v-8 t5 has a 26 spline clutch. the v-6 and 4 cylinder versions usually have 14 spline clutches, but all came stock in a car / jeep/ s-10 blazer with 11's clutches, but only for one year, but they were stock at one point, so you can order it. the stock 4 cylinder clutches normally come with 9.5" clutches with 4 springs...too weak for a lot of applications. you can order from summit a 10 or 10.4 clutch that would probably fit the 235 nicely. you gotta find a t5 that is 92 and earlier, 93, they went to a ford bellhousing style. also, you will need to make an 18 degree trans adapting mount if you plan on running a trans mount. if not, one can always let it hang like the stock 3 speed.
here's a pic from my 55 truck...i got side mounts and made a 18 degree, maybe it's 17 degree trans mount. had an automatic for a minute, obviously i didn't clean it up. lol. but it's been running for 4 years, been to spots over 100 miles away, done metal dump loads, picked up harley's...can't be that bad, but i don't dump the clutch either on this one. i baby it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I have the Trans Am t-5 in my 55 with the s-10 tail housing with electric speed generator and Dakota digital dash and all is well.
Danny, what engine are you using ? You really like T-5 behind it ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts