Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to hear stories from the uh, more experienced rodders I used to know about Holley 3 barrel carbs, and how they were great carbs. Never seen one in use, but I was always kind of intrigued about how well they actually worked.
Did a search on craigslist (I do that a lot) and found a 1050 cfm 3bbl. I know most of them were 950 cfm's but there were a limited number of the 1050's made. According to posts I've read on other forums they had a real bad bog when opened up, but would catch up and really scream. I'm no expert, but I can tune Holleys with decent success, and I'm thinkin' about picking this up for my 468 build I'm collecting parts for.

Anyone have any Holley 3bbl. stories or info to share?

·
Administrator
70,795 Posts
They look very similiar to the 650, but the 3 barrel was designed in 950 & 1050CFM. The 950CFM were used on 327 engines to give it a good get up & go as the secondary part of the carby was removed to give a great output.

On your build it will give it a great pickup if tuned right.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I briefly ran a borrowed 950 on a 400 SB with an Isky z-50 ([email protected]) on a team G intake 20 years ago. Not certain, but think I tried it on a single 4 top on an Offy cross ram as well.

From what I recall it presented minimal tuning challenge. Of course this was all seat of the pants tuning. Although already old at that stage, the carb was like new (remember that because I was using in preference to my own well worn 750), not a usual swapmeet sample. A used one now might be more challenging to sort out depending on condition.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
A buddy of mine ran one of the 1050s on a 429 CJ b&s to 466 back in the 70s it worked better than a 850dp or an 1150. He is building a 67 Camaro with a 454 and plans on using it again. He is a Ford guy with a shelf full of N case Lockers and three cars with Dana 60s wonder what he knows most Chevy guys dont.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have a couple of them stashed away.

used them on my 461 BBC boat, no lag, ran great, big improvement over 850 holley, ( at least on my boat)
still have a Holley carb overhaul kit for one too!

they have a place, but most street motors have no need for something that big!
great collector piece!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.