Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Anyone running Corvette IFS?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  1955GMC 
#1 ·
I've been looking at options for my stock 55, and wondering if anyone here currnetly has or had a Vette IFS, and if so what years were used.
Or if there is a trick set up with late model A arms and spindles someone has discovered.
57Viper sent me an article on swaping in B body spindles (thanks bro) and after researching the applications it looks like B body spindles up to 91 will work, and if you use the 12" rotor applicaton it lowers the car approx 3/4 - 1". Hopefully someone here can confirm or deny this assertion, or has experimented with it.
Thanks
PJ

#2 ·
PJ there are a lot of tri-fives out there running vette suspensions. Seems like every one is jumping on the bandwagon of building new frames with ifs, look pretty trick but way out of my price range.
Terry

#3 ·
I don't know..looked at the Progressive set up for under 2K
http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/sweet.htm..
more than I want to spend, but it looks like the way to go with coil overs and front rack, and I think it's about what a Mustang II would cost.
Strictly comparing the price of the two, not installing a MII on a tri five.
Anyway here's the rub.... 2" drop spindles, 2" drop springs, adjustable upper A arms, 605 box, pump, hoses, brackets, calipers, rotors, hoses, alignment shop bend over. I guess that will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200. Not to mention cut up my steering column, or buy a new one for $250.

Hopefuly someone with the Vette front end can let me know what they like or hate about their set up. Or if they are considering this, what they have found out.
PJ

#5 ·
Corvette IFS option

Hi I used a doner and the front and rear crossmembers from Flat Out Engineering. The kit was really well made and installed in a day and a half. The instructions were clear and the kit complete. I Could have been faster but I measured dozens of time to reduce the goof percentage.

#6 ·
Wow, there are so many ways to address this. I'll start out with the membership here, Laszlo, AKA Chevynut does a great job of this on your frame or a trade unit. I too do them as others here have done their own. Progressive has a good solution also. I have one of their units and also, Chevynut has done one or two of them. Newman, and others out there supply a solution, it just depends on your budget and time constraints.

#7 ·
Progressive has a nice clip, but you need to understand that in order to graft it to a stock frame you basically cut the frame in two...I've done one of them in the past. Also, you can't use the Corvette swaybar, nor the Corvette rack. And I think the price is higher than $2000.

I just finished C4 conversion #22. See my album below for examples, including my chassis. I have some more pics in threads on TriFive too, if you do a search on "conversion" in the title. I think you've found out that by the time you modify a stock frame with aftermarket parts, a C4 conversion isn't that expensive.

I offer full conversions, partial conversion, or front clips and pricing depends on the level of completion that you want. I can get you into a basic clip that accepts all of the C4 parts for under $2000 using your C4 k-member or I can supply one. I can also add engine mounts, shock mounts, or whatever you like. My conversions accept coilovers too, which Newman's doesn't do.

PM me if interested.

#10 ·
I posted earlier in this thread about me using a Flat Out Engineering crossmember. After looking at the photos that Chevynut has on the PictureTrail gallery of his Nomad and others I would have went with his if for no other reason than the comment he has about the sway bar hook-up. The method he uses to mount the SB is superior to others I have seen. Giving Flat Out Engineering all the credit they deserve, I was told up front that their kit did not address the SB issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.