Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to find a front seat for my 56 2dr HTP. Will a seat from any 55-57 General Motors car fit? Cadillac,Pontiac,Buick etc. or must it be a Chevy seat?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I took a seat from a 1977 Delta 88 and mounted it in my 1953 chevy pickup. I had to redrill the holes and use nuts andd of the using te original machined nuts. But it worked out very nice and looked great. I wish I had a picture to show it, but I no longer own that pickup and didn't (at the time) think of taking pictures.

I think if you measure it up, you may have to costumize it a bit, but should work.
With a torch and welder, you can do anything.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I'd like to find a front seat for my 56 2dr HTP. Will a seat from any 55-57 General Motors car fit? Cadillac,Pontiac,Buick etc. or must it be a Chevy seat?
55-56 seats are pretty much the same, 57 seats are thinner in the backrest.

The pontiac seats will pretty much be a bolt in but cadillac and buick will probably require some modification.

They are all pretty close to the same width. A lot of guys used bucket seats out of mid 60's chevy full size cars, but they are pricey anymore as they are restoring those cars too. I think Hafrod used seats out of a mid 80's chevy. My 56 wagon had seats out of a 73 lincoln so anything is possible.

·
Registered
496 Posts
a '55 olds is 4" wider than any of the chevys, so I'd guess the seat in those are a bit wider too.
55 Ponitac is only an inch or two wider, so they might work.

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
I think pistoncan's answer is the right one. Only the 55-57 Pontiac seats are similar, everything else is different. Remember that the Pontiacs share doors, windows, and trunk lids with 55-57s, the rest don't.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a 55 2-dr bench seat that will work in your 56 Fred. I just dunno how I would to get it to you. Tim

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I think pistoncan's answer is the right one. Only the 55-57 Pontiac seats are similar, everything else is different. Remember that the Pontiacs share doors, windows, and trunk lids with 55-57s, the rest don't.
Hi, Will the Pontiac seat fit standard 57 upolstery.

Thanks

Pepe Griffo

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
The cushions in a 57 Chevy seat are a little thinner than 55-56. So it would not be surprising if the Pontiac was different in some way there too. A good upholstery shop should be able to make it work though.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 55 2-dr bench seat that will work in your 56 Fred. I just dunno how I would to get it to you. Tim
Maybe we can set up a tri-5 relay.
Do you know anyone nearby thats coming to the Turkey Rod Run ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts