Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, this is my first post of many to come! I have a 1957 Hardtop. I have an Art Morrison chassis with a LS3. I have 14" wilwood. I have put in mini tubs in the back.

The question is am wrong or crazy to think I can PUT 245/40R18 in the front and 305/35R20 in the back

·
Registered
37,778 Posts
I believe that a 245 tire is what AME says will fit on the front. You have to get the wheel offset/backspacing correct. AME should be able to tell you what backspacing to use.

In the back, you'll have to do a mini-tub to get a 305 tire on the car. As with the front, you'll need to get the wheel offset/backspacing correct, based on the axle width they supply.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello Everyone, this is my first post of many to come! I have a 1957 Hardtop. I have an Art Morrison chassis with a LS3. I have 14" wilwood. I have put in mini tubs in the back.

The question is am wrong or crazy to think I can PUT 245/40R18 in the front and 305/35R20 in the back
Shouldn’t be an issue for you. As previous posts have said, get the offset correct and you will be set. I have run a 325/50-15 with a mini tub and no issues on the rear. I currently run a 305/45-18 on the rear and a 245/45-17 on the front with a stock frame and lowered without rubbing. Looking at a calculator, our front tires are essentially identical in size and your rear tire is actually shorter!

Sounds like an awesome project. I would love to have that chassis for my ride!!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Shouldn’t be an issue for you. As previous posts have said, get the offset correct and you will be set. I have run a 325/50-15 with a mini tub and no issues on the rear. I currently run a 305/45-18 on the rear and a 245/45-17 on the front with a stock frame and lowered without rubbing. Looking at a calculator, our front tires are essentially identical in size and your rear tire is actually shorter!

Sounds like an awesome project. I would love to have that chassis for my ride!!
Bler...are you running a 305 in the rear with just a mini-tub or with an inboard spring relocation as well?

Love your car man...nicest '57 150 on this site!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thank you for the compliment! Much appreciated. I moved the springs to frame pockets. Forgot to mention that. I have the tires on a 9.5” rim so they pull in a bit from a 10” rim but not really noticeable. I have over an inch on both sides in the wheel well with this combination.

I just finished rolling the lip on the inside of the quarter panel for some more clearance when running my drag tires. My drag rims are 1/2” offset too much to the outside. Just gives me another 1/4” of room for piece of mind.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey, try this link too. Whom ever came up with this is spot on!

http://tri-5.chevyrides.com/rear_tire.php

You do have to know exactly what your rear end length is in inches.

I've got a Schwartz Frame, which I'm sure is similar to the Art Morrison as far as what will fit.

I'm running 245/45/18's in front and 315/40/18's in rear.
Feel free to sent me a private message for more info.

I also ordered a cheap steel wheel in what I thought was the correct BS to try in the rear before ordering my expensive wheels and tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts