Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a link to a New Zealand Hot Rod forum with a thread about a particular wheel which has been failing and could cause afatal accident. It's scary that there are vendorsout there peddling this junk, not sure where they are made, but the source is from the USA.
http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81209#post81209

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
This is a link to a New Zealand Hot Rod forum with a thread about a particular wheel which has been failing and could cause afatal accident. It's scary that there are vendorsout there peddling this junk, not sure where they are made, but the source is from the USA.
http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81209#post81209
but the source is from the USA :eek:

Im sure the usa vendor or source is gettn them from over seas some where ,maybe Asia ???

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, in no way was I inferring that these were made in the USA, like you say, these could have been made anywhere, the intent was to raise awareness that these are out there and unsafe, so that anyone who has a set can immediately take action to eliminate the risk.

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
thanks for that safty info thumper. :five:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The wheels on my 2004 Chevy Impala LS are stamped "made in china" The car was made in Canada. Makes me want to drive slower! Dave

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Wheel safety.

Back in the day I worked part time at a speed shop. The owner drove a new Grand Prix with Cragar S/S wheels. One morning on his way to work he turned a slow speed corner at a stop sign. As he turned the RF wheel broke at the attachment points. Needless to say if they broke on his car, he wouldn't sell them to some one else. The other wheels came off his car that day and all the other S/S wheels went back to the warehouse they came from. I don't think he ever sold another at his shop.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
1 look at the quality, [or lack of], of those welds gives me the chills!
So many stress risers!! They look like they were welded w/ nutty putty!
1 word comes to mind JUNK!

·
Registered
36,118 Posts
I've never been impressed with that type of wheel because it looks cheaply made, from the shiny side. But I had no idea how badly made, looking from the other side.

This type of wheel is all over the swap meets, etc., at bargain prices.

The stuff that's scarier than those is the 20" and 22" wheels for pickups and SUVs that are more or less similar, but the loads go up because of vehicle weight and the wheel diameter.

I'm really surprised in some ways that some of these wheels are not looked at more carefully by the regulators in the US. And to me SEMA needs to step up and police this where they can to keep the govt from wanting to step in. Reason is they'll have us jumping through the same hoops as you guys in Australia and NZ. Which IMO is a bit oppressive. But examples like this are why that kind of regulation comes about. In other words the better course is for the industry and users to take care of things.

PS. I guess the other side of this deal is that at least the seed of this design is similar to a Cragar SS wheel, or an American TTII, or many of the billet wheels. But those for the most part are well executed.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
just for info, the american racing TT's i just bought for my '56 are MADE IN CHINA !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
This thread caused me to take a closer look at the new 17 inch Cragar SS's that I just bought. The spokes on the Cragars are molded to a rim in one continuous piece. That rim is then welded to the wheel. A much better design and both the rim and spokes are chrome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts