Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I greatly appreciate all of your kind words about my past articles. My four years as Tech Editor and Historian for the ATFA were very enjoyable and rewarding. I really enjoyed researching and writing these article for you and I am thrilled that you enjoyed them and they were of some use to you.
Over the last couple of years, I have thought about and talked about writing more, but just haven't taken the time to do so. Maybe I will again...only time will tell.
Ian and I do have different writing styles, as was previously mentioned, but that's not a bad thing. I write what I know about and that's the original side of the Tri-Fives. That's what I know and am confident writing about. Ian is younger and knows a lot about the current trends and modifications that many people like. He's in a position, with his job, that he is surrounded by and involved with these trends and parts; whereas I am not. As he also stated previously, he has many duties and a full time job to contend with while writing his articles. I am retired and when I was writing, I could concentrate solely on the research.
I don't know what articles have been written for the magazine as of late, as I haven't received the magazine for nearly a year, but I am sure that whatever has been written was done so with research and good knowledge of the subject.
I have rambled long enough lol. I appreciate your time and, again, for allowing me into your home during my four years with the magazine. I am eternally grateful to you and enjoyed meeting and talking with many of you during that time. Maybe we'll meet again at the '21 Nationals in Bowling Green. Have a great day and God Bless.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
I was 110% supportive of putting feelers out there as to improving tech articles, which I think should say a lot. For whatever reason (which I won't further debate), you simply think someone else is the answer. Thanks for your input, it has been duly noted and passed along. (y)
Ian, I think you may have taken the comments in a manner different than what they were intended. Steve Blades set the bar unimaginably high with the content and quality of his tech articles. The articles were intended for the reader to gain knowledge about the history and construction of these vehicles in their multiple forms. The ATFA magazine may be the only magazine many of these forum member receive in the mail (I get this one and Smoke Signals as a POCI member) because Trifives are their first, current, or only automotive passion.

I understand your tech articles are meant to inform the readers how to do certain things with their car, and that is absolutely fine because they do help out quite a lot. What Pops was lamenting was the in-depth historical research that went with Trifives, such as the 50 millionth Chevrolet. Many of the older crowd (and quite a few of us younger crowd in our 40’s) love seeing the articles that aren’t possible to see without that level of research and dedication.

No one is questioning your work ethic or commitment to ATFA and the Trifive community as a whole, it’s just that when someone provided a service (Steve Blades) that was so far above and beyond what was expected, it just creates a bit of a void when its gone. Also, this COVID isolation has 95% of civilized society on absolute edge (except those in engineering who loathe human contact and are in absolute heaven right now) so keep that in mind.

Take a deep breath, grab a beverage of your choice, and know that no one is saying you’re doing a bad job, they had just been a bit used to that solid gold service that Steve provided. Maybe in time with cooperation between forum members, ATFA readers, and ATFA leadership we can get the tech / historical articles back up to that high threshold.

·
Premium Member
1957 2 door sedan 210, (running) & 1957 2 door B/A hardtop (apart)[
532 Posts
I take exception to your comment about engineers. I'll admit the profession may attract more than it's share of "unusual" personalities, but by and large, they are a great group of people, and not anti-social as you seem to believe. (I spent my career as an engineer). I'm curious as to what experiences you may have had to form such a jaded opinion?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Maybe it is just me, but I am seeing more tech articles in recent issues, and am pleased with ATFA's change. I find I have more to read in these recent issues that increases my knowledge.
Regards, Doug

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
I take exception to your comment about engineers. I'll admit the profession may attract more than it's share of "unusual" personalities, but by and large, they are a great group of people, and not anti-social as you seem to believe. (I spent my career as an engineer). I'm curious as to what experiences you may have had to form such a jaded opinion?
I have a Bachelors and Masters in Aerospace Engineering and a PhD in Materials Engineering and teach in the Aerospace Engineering department at a university, specifically the Launch Vehicle design courses, freshman introductory courses, and Finite Element Analysis. I am an active member of the Center for Polymers and Advanced Composites, and one of the rapid prototyping group. Literally everyone I am in contact with every day, myself included is either a faculty in engineering, a student of engineering, and lives in the engineering world.

Is that sufficient?

My comment was intended to be humorous, but we engineers have a higher than average number of people who are not the most socially adept or comfortable in social situations. I see it every day.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Gee Eldon - you seem approachable and socially comfortable to me! ;) To reference Hillbilly's comment, I do think that the further you delve into a particular technical arena, the more densely it will be populated with the ...uh....'unusual' personalities he mentions. From the sound of it, you must be in such an environment!. I, on the other hand, was/am a lost technical soul in a crowd of accountants and widely varied personality types. With an AAS and BS in Technology, and SAE member since '80, trying to find a comfortable career in my chosen geographical locale landed me in a completely unsought career, but with a great company. The deeper I got into accounting, banking, finance, contract law and human relations, the more I wondered 'what have I done?' My only qualification for those areas was the algebra and business practices classes I took, and a strong upbringing in a military home. ...all those wasted hours in calculus and physics....
JR

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Gee Eldon - you seem approachable and socially comfortable to me! ;) To reference Hillbilly's comment, I do think that the further you delve into a particular technical arena, the more densely it will be populated with the ...uh....'unusual' personalities he mentions. From the sound of it, you must be in such an environment!. I, on the other hand, was/am a lost technical soul in a crowd of accountants and widely varied personality types. With an AAS and BS in Technology, and SAE member since '80, trying to find a comfortable career in my chosen geographical locale landed me in a completely unsought career, but with a great company. The deeper I got into accounting, banking, finance, contract law and human relations, the more I wondered 'what have I done?' My only qualification for those areas was the algebra and business practices classes I took, and a strong upbringing in a military home. ...all those wasted hours in calculus and physics....
JR
I force myself to be sometimes. Just as those I describe, I am just as comfortable in a workshop alone for weeks on end as I am with a crowd. I do my absolute best to treat others the way I want to be treated. To me, hypocrisy is the worst sin to humanity.

·
Premium Member
1957 2 door sedan 210, (running) & 1957 2 door B/A hardtop (apart)[
532 Posts
Sorry, but without knowledge of your background, your humor escaped me when i responded. PS: software engineers seem to be the most "unusual" in my experience

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Sorry, but without knowledge of your background, your humor escaped me when i responded. PS: software engineers seem to be the most "unusual" in my experience
This we can all agree on. If you can, watch the IT Crowd from the UK. It’s hilarious because I know many like that.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts