Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well where do you begin. It was January 1982, and an Aussie 1957 Chevy 210 was found lying in a wrecking yard in the goldfields of Western Australia. Too far gone for the average person, but one guy saw the potential and bought it for $250. He took it home, stripped out the body and sent it to the sandblaster. This was the beginning.

Fast forward 25 years, and I see the car for sale on Ebay. It is a rolling chassis only, no engine and gearbox but all the bodywork is done and in 2pac primer. I go and have a look, there are a bunch of photos that have been taken along the way giving me confidence that this guy new what he was doing. Before the sun goes down, I have the car on the back of a car trailer heading back to my place.

So I have had the car for 5 years and it has taken me 3 of them to work out in which direction to go, it is a blank canvas so anything is possible. Originally it had a 6 cylinder Blue Fame motor with a 3 speed, that wasn't going to cut it - so what to do ? "454 Big Block, Turbo 400, 9 inch" that sounds so nice when you say it out loud.
Let the second stage of the restoration begin .....:p3:

·
Registered
66,019 Posts
sounds good, have fun with it. :tu

·
Registered
15,253 Posts
Press on Dean,you have the right vision and the sky is the limit.:tu :tu:anim_25::shakehands:
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was very daunting in the beginning, as I didn't have anything to go by in terms of what went where and what parts were missing. A lot of research, looking on Ebay and joining this forum helped a lot. Also being a RHD didn't help.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey Dean,
Too bad I couldn't have caught up with you sooner. I was on a business trip to Perth just left last night (I'm sitting in at the airport in Sydney waiting for my flight). You guys have some nice cars rolling around and quite a few drag strips and race tracks. Your build is off to a good start.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Hey Man, looks like you’re mak’n great progress on that Sweet look'n Chevy project you've got go'n on there...:tu keep up the good work and keep those pix com’n… we love to see’em… BDR…:cool:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rack n Pinion Power Steering

Well I finally got the Rack n Pinion power steering bolted in the car today. I bought it from Flaming River, as they were the only company that built these for a RHD. Apparently they had a lot of requests from us people that drive on the correct side of the road that they decided to go into production. :anim_60:

Next step is to modify the oil pan as it won't clear the rack. I think I will lose about one liter of oil capacity but I think it will still be OK as the pan is a Milodon 30970 which I think holds about 7 liters.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mate, that's cool.... I lived there for 30 years.. I sure have a keen interest in your project now Dean. Keep at it mate:anim_25:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it's been a while since I've been able to work on the car but there has finally been some progress. A while ago I had a diff built from scratch which is on another thread called "Aussie 9 inch " - so today I was able to fit it into the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I hooked up the tilt steering column to the rack n pinion. With the headers on the Big Block being in such a position I had to run an extra U-Joint to get in between the pipes. I mounted a bracket off one of the steering chassis bolts so I could use a bearing support on the primary steering shaft, so hopefully the U-Joints won't bind up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 371 Posts