Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to buy new side glass for my 55 Bel Air Sports Coupe but I’m undecided on whether to go with clear glass or tinted. I’m looking at Auto Glass City as the supplier and I gave them a call to ask for a sample of the grey tint glass but one could not be provided. I am not interested in the factory green tinting but the grey/smoke. Again, if you have the grey/smoke tinted glass from Auto Glass City please post pics if you can. Thanks! Elijah

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
5,103 Posts
Auto city classics Euro Smoke Grey on the side and rear glass.
Windshield is clear.

Same car and glass, just different wheels and tires.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Have the smoke side glass & tinted windshield from Auto City.
IIRC the smoke grey is rated @ 30% it looks darker when looking @ it from the outside your looking through the car & 2 pieces of tinted glass the tint is barely noticeable when your in the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That tint looks great with the black paint and if my car was black it would be a done deal but my 55 is solid white and I'm sort of leaning toward the clear glass.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
5,103 Posts
That tint looks great with the black paint and if my car was black it would be a done deal but my 55 is solid white and I'm sort of leaning toward the clear glass.
I’m debating clear on my other black wagon as the euro smoke grey made my first wagon look “Wicked”.
And I want the next wagon to look more like an original grocery getter.
EZ eye is green an looks great with a green or yellow car, but I think it might detract from the silver and black interior that will be used in the second wagon.

Reactions: Elijah

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think the smoke grey looks good against any color. This is one thing I really paid attention to the last time I was at Nationals for I was looking to purchase at that time. I also noticed that the green tint seemed to conflict with many colors. I agree that tint tends to look darker in pics than in person. Any chance you are going to Pigeon Forge in a couple of weeks? There should be plenty examples of clear, smoke and green for comparison sake.

·
Administrator
49,263 Posts
I agree, the tint would look good with any color. And anything you can do to help keep the sun out just helps keep the inside cooler.
Terry

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Hey neighbor, Here's a solution for the tinted windows. You could paint the front half black.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Agree with the comments already expressed about the grey tint from Auto City. Have it in my current project, as well as the '56 sedan I sold last year. Note in the picture the difference in darkness between the side windows where light is going through the opposite side windows - both tinted, and compare to the amount of light showing in the passenger vent window where the light is coming through the edge of the windshield on the opposite side of the car.

The windshield was the standard tint with the dark bank across the top. From the inside you hardly notice the glass being tinted.

·
Administrator
65,355 Posts
You don't realise the amount of sun that comes through the glass, anything to minimise this like tint not only looks good but reduces the amount of heat in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I’m really old school because I have never liked “dark windows” on anything but would accept a light shading of tint. I recently sold a C3 Corvette that I had tinted and to me it was a perfect light shading but most thought it was too light. I still haven’t caught on to the allure of big inch wheels either. I suppose I’m 55 going on 95.

·
Administrator
49,263 Posts
I don`t like the dark dark windows at all. Can`t see in or out. The smoke tint isn`t very dark. They used to send out a sample so you could see it first hand.
On the wheels, i don`t like the big wagon wheels either.
Terry

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m thinking I might order the clear glass and possibly having it tinted locally to my liking afterwards. Not as good as factory tinting offered by the company but an option I have thought about.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
5,103 Posts
I’m thinking I might order the clear glass and possibly having it tinted locally to my liking afterwards. Not as good as factory tinting offered by the company but an option I have thought about.
Modern window tint film can block thermal heat and light and you can get it in a variety of shades and colors.

After running with a clear windshield in my old wagon for a while I got it tinted. No regrets.

Same wagon as above, only this time the windshield is tinted aswell.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
5,103 Posts
Do they offer the EZ-eye green tint side glass?
Todd
Auto city has clear, ez-eye green, and euro smoke grey. You can even get it date code stamped just like the factory glass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts