Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an Autorad radiator system that was designed for the 57 Chevy. I have used several different setups and radiators before and was never please with the cooling etc.

This Autorad system exceeded my expatiations in every way. It fit perfect from the start, Was a very easy install even though I have a 3/4 forward big block with a long water pump, still had room for the radiator fans and shrouds,

I got the Dakota digital controller with it, and it had features I never thought about, like.

You set what temp the first fans comes on and then you set what temp the first fans turns off, Example the first fan starts at 180 degrees and turns off at 160 degrees, Then I set the second fan to come on at 190 degrees and to turn off at 170 degrees.

You can configure the digital controller many different setups that was just the way I set mine up.

I was extremely please with the quality of the entire system.

It works perfect and keeps my big block cool. At all times.

The pictures do not do this system justice it is beautiful.

Now what I added was a made by me bug screen, The ac condenser is bolted to the radiator with 2 screws at all corners, so I went to lows and got a sheet of their fancy designed screen, cut it to size and then I bought 4 steel-zinc spacers 1/4 x 3/8 x 3/4, I removed 4 screws from the condenser brackets installed the spacers and the longer screws now I have a nice bug screen that will keep the radiator condenser clean and can be easily washed.

Lowes,
Spacers are part number Hillman # 07828 4 each
I also got the screws from Lowes. To match

Otis :)

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dean

It sure does keep that big block cool and , that is one thing that has always been a problem.

Otis :)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Otis, that looks so good in there. I'm sure it will work as good as it looks.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Otis, All I can say is: You must love the silence and jaw dropping you get from people when you open up that hood for them!:tu

·
Registered
68,228 Posts
beautiful, thanks for info otis. :tu

·
Registered
222 Posts
Very nice ...

I agree. VERY nice! :tu ... but why so many redundant photos? :confused0024:

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Otis,

There is just 2 words I can think of to say.
ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!!!!

I have the AutoRad in my '55 also and think it is great. But I opted for the unpolished one.

One thing you might consider and that is going for the 2 speed fan setup some of us others are doing. I got the idea from Chevynut.

Instead of low being one fan on and the other off, I make low run both fans at half-speed. This offers a couple of advantages. One is that the low setting will be drawing air more evenly through the radiator. The other is that while on low, it is much more quiet.
This is easy to set up but takes 3 relays instead of 2. Low simply runs the fans in series and high runs them in parallel. I've got schematics on how to do it if you are interested.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I like that idea. Please send me your schematic. I have been holding back on my cooling system purchase because I wanted to try to get the quietest fans possible. I was at a show recently and a 55 came in, I thought it had a noisy gear drive on it. I later asked the guy if he was running a gear drive and he said no that the noise was his electric fan.

·
Premium Member
10,931 Posts
Gorgeous radiator. And if it keeps your big block cool, that's what it's all about.

Ray :bowtier:

·
Registered
132 Posts
AutoRad Install.

The photos of your engine and cooling module by AutoRad is great.
Do you have to modify the bottom of the hood for clearence for the AutoRad package. Let me know Paul

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Love the pictures and the info Otis. I've had some cooling challenges in the past and will soon put that behind me as I ordered the Heavy Duty Autorad yesterday complete with polishing. It'll go in right behind the reworked big block in the next couple months. Your engine bay is looking excellent as well Roger! Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Love the pictures and the info Otis. I've had some cooling challenges in the past and will soon put that behind me as I ordered the Heavy Duty Autorad yesterday complete with polishing. It'll go in right behind the reworked big block in the next couple months. Your engine bay is looking excellent as well Roger! Thanks for the pictures.
Graeme,
Sounds like that will be really nice. I hope you post some pictures. I'd really like to see it.
I hope this solves your cooling issues.
I just looked at your album for the first time. I love the blower!
I also see why you don't have much room for fans behind the radiator. What did you end up deciding to do with your new setup?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Now that the blower is gone I should have plenty of room for fans on the inside of the rad. I was toying with trying to squeeze a mechanical fan in there and try that out but said nah. I already have the 3 relay switching from my old pusher fans so I'll run the pair on Maradyne's and 1/2 speed and full speed off the Dakota switch. With 4000 cfm and the extra thick rad with dual 1.5" cores it should be plenty cool with the new motor. And after seeing Otis's rad, I had to go polished versus painting it all black. I'll post some pics when it's going back together.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts