Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More of a cautionary tale than anything..
If you have a Raingear electric wiper assembly on your 56 Chevy, and you're looking at the Autometer Old Tyme gauge set that uses the original bezel, be advised the mechanical speedometer is a problem.
I bought kit # 1601 5 pc set.
The wiper mechanism ends up right next to where the speedo cable installs into the back of the mechanical speedo and there is enough interference it will not work.
In other words you can't screw the cable into the back of the speedo.
So I had to send back the mechanical speedo to Autometer and will need to purchase the electric model.
Which should be better anyway due to the ease of calibrating the speedo instead of messing around with different cable gears in the tranny.
Also, this kit comes with a fuel sender and gauge that must be used together.
I was under the impression the Autometer sender would be easy to swap with my existing original style I bought from Danchuk.
That is not the case. The sender is not at all like the original. It does not have a fuel supply line, and has to be installed in the top of the tank.
So then I had to ship the fuel sender and gauge back to Autometer and exchange for the correct 0-30 Ohm fuel gauge to match my existing sender.
I'll let you know how it turns out....

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,838 Posts
Tom....You are totally correct....My buddy Ken ran in to the same thing under those conditions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Autometer response

I got an "estimate for repair" from Autometer on the speedo and sender today.
It seems very reasonable.
It will be next week before I know about the fuel gauge.
FYI - I did discuss this with the "tech" guy at Autometer, and he didn't seem happy when I suggested they warn people with 56s about this gauge set up and Raingear units...maybe he was just having a bad day.
Sorry to hear someone else had to go through this.
But as I can keep telling myself - it's all part of "the experience"....:argh:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Autometer Gauge drama

I must commend Autometer with the way they took care of me regarding my gauge issues.
After buying the Old Tyme gauges direct the mechanical speedo interfered with the Raingear kit, and the fuel gauge was not the correct impedance for my sender.
I got the correct electronic speedo and fuel gauge from Autometer and they look and work great in my car!
The customer service was awesome!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,838 Posts
Tom...Do you have white or black?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts