Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ordered an AutoRad kit this morning for my '55 hardtop. I'll come back to this thread and update how the install goes and how it performs. It should be about 4 weeks to get it but it will be still quite a while for the car to be ready for the road.
There are not many reviews of the AutoRad for the TriFive out there like there are for the PRC.

I ordered the assembly that comes with the support, shroud, dual fans, and overflow tank. I added the A/C condenser and radiator cap options. I did not go for the polishing option. I may paint the support body color (not sure yet). I will most likely polish the radiator myself.

So far, I am impressed with them. They gave me a 5% discount and free shipping for being a Tri-Five member.

The AutoRad is approximately $200 more than the PRC setup which I heavily considered. However, with the 5% discount and the free shipping I think the prices come out very close to the same.
It came down to the larger fans that the AutoRad has that swayed me to them. The AutoRad has 14" fans versus 11" fans on the PRC. I figured not only more air flow with the fans running, but also more air flow when they are not due to the larger openings in the shroud. Also, with the larger fans, I think it will work great to set one fan up as a primary and the other as a secondary. Like have one come on at 185 and the other at 195.

Since they are a Tri-Five forum supporter, I thought it would be OK to post a couple of their pictures:

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
nice! will be looking forward to the update roger. :five:

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many Horses to they cool to?
I don't know the answer to that. Go ahead and drop them an email. You will get a prompt response. I do see that they have an option for a 1 1/2" tube core.

I know OL57 has the AutoRad and his engine is a 588ci w/900HP! Don't know if he went with the 1 1/2" core option or not.

I've got a crate Ram Jet 350 which is 350HP/400ft-lbs. This radiator is overkill for me. But, I like overkill when it comes to radiators, condensers and air flow. Texas is just plain hot in the summer.

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Roger nice set up. I have been looking at the same unit. But my wife wants the fully polish setup, she gravitates to bright shiny objects:sign0020:
Yes, I like what I see in the pictures and have high-hopes that it will be great. They get $500 for polishing and the wait goes up from 4 weeks to 6 weeks for that. Someone else told me in another thread that it's not that hard to do polishing on your own. However, OL57 told me in a pm that AutoRad did a beautiful polishing job on his full setup.

It wasn't the money so much for me but rather not sure what I wanted. I'm pretty sure that I will at least polish the radiator but not sure about the support yet.

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The key thing is will the support fit without too much cutting and welding?
Rick,

Yes, there is not much info out there on the AutoRad at this point. I am taking a little chance here since the PRC is pretty much a known entity for quality and service after the sale. This is one of the reasons I started this thread so I could share my experience with this radiator setup that hasn't received much attention.

However, this statement from Aussie57 here back in June did set my mind at ease some:

"We recently fitted up an Auotrad, Georgia, complete kit including aircon in the 57. Without doubt one of the best made items we used and no issues what so ever with going straight in to position-everything lined up perfectly and no scraping.

Just a pefect fit and performance is second to none. They are a sponsor on the site - well worth a look."

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I too would like to know about support fitment also . They look lke a great piece but I'm going to use body color for support and inner fenders.:D
I'll be reporting back here with how the install goes. But that will be a while. I won't even get it for 4 weeks.

I'm thinking of body color too for the inner fenders and support. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I keep going back and forth. Not sure I want to cover up an all-aluminum piece. But, somehow I think it would look good body-color.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
30 Posts
I just ordered an AutoRad kit this morning for my '55 hardtop.

How many Horses to they cool to?
There are many factors that determine the cooling requirements of an engine. The horsepower is just one of them. That being said, without having any more information, I would consider going with the 1 1/2" tube core when the HP is around 700-800. We try to get as much useful information from our customers so that we can build them a radiator that will cool their car as well as look good too.

AutoRad
770-983-1345
www.autoradradiators.com

·
Registered
38,586 Posts
That's very true.

Think about it. If you have 500, 600, 700 hp, how long at a time will you be running the engine at that power level? Chances are, not long, so that's not your biggest problem.

Your biggest problem most often is matching water pump flow, airflow, radiator capacity, and similar variables when the engine is idling in traffic or cruising. I can attest to you that the PRC setup does that, and there's no reason to think Autorad can't handle that either.

Again, not too many people posting Autorad experiences on these boards, so the quirks if any are not well known. And the biggest deal is if you're buying a radiator support. Just an unknown, it may be fine. I'm sure they will tell you it is. It takes some engineering and fab skill to make one fit, especially every time. PRC screwed up a bunch of them, I guess they got it better now, but there's not much feedback on that either. The radiator alone is a bit easier to judge.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
30 Posts
True we may not be as well known as other companies, but we put alot of effort in the design and adjustability of our units. A few areas that I would like to point out. Our fender mount "ears" are bolt on, not welded. Therefore they can be adjusted to fit properly. Our radiators also bolt to the core support rather than being welded to it. Take a look at the way we mount our fans. Rather than just bolt them on the shroud, we trim away the outside excess and mount them from the inside to gain more room between the fans and the engine and a much cleaner look. You may find a cheaper unit, but you will not find one with more attention to detail and appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did go with the 1 1/2 tube core and have installed the support while fitting the fenders and it worked great. I think the unit is great for my needs and the workmanship is outstanding. I bought the complete unit and condensor all polished. I dont have a picture of mine installed yet but here is one that helped me make up my mind.

OL57

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cant help but comment at the opportunity on the Autorad units.
I have one here in Australia in the 57 hardtop.
This was an all original car we bought from the US converted to RHD and upgraded along the way.

We looked at other options and decided that the best looking unit that we could see on the www was the Autorad. Speaking with the owners about the product gave us confidence to buy from 14000 kilometers away - something that you blokes in the US dont have to worry too much about.

I have to say i have no hesitation in recommending the company , the product and the people you will deal with.

It was a perfect fit - no jiggle, no push, no tap tap tap it just slotted in and we did the bolts up with our fingers. the comments on the quality just puts a smile on my face and it works better than it looks !

Its 10 out of 10 in all respects.

Happy to send pics if anyone wants to PM me

cheers

·
Registered
375 Posts
ANOTHER RADIATOR TO CONSIDER

Not to step on this thread, but has anyone had experience with Sweet
Components? www.sweetcomponants.com . Their unit looks outstanding and they make one specifically for a AME frame.

I am ready to order either the AUTORAD or SWEETCOMONENTS unit but I'm really on the fence.

Please, any advise?

Den

·
Registered
262 Posts
Auto Rad

I have purchased and installed a fully polished Auto Rad system in my 57. We had to move it forward 1 hole and massage the lower brace to allow the fans to clear my Billet Specialities Serpentine system!
It looks Marvelous!

Cap

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.