Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I swapped my old 350 with a ZZ4 GM crate 350 and also replaced my 350 TH with a 700R4...my electronic 3 yrs old Classic instrument speedo stop working then worked erratically. I tried replacing everything and checked the wires but still for 3 months it worked off and on. I contacted Classic instruments and they sent me a new speedo but it didnt work either.

so I got a Sky Drive which is a GPS and mounted it on top of my radio underneath the speaker grille (which doesnt have a speaker because I had to remove it to put in raingear wipers). Its simple to wire up with only 3 wires and very simple to calibrate...only took 15 sec to calibrate it and you never have to do it again. It also calibrates your speed 10 times a second so super accurate.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry guys...didnt take a photo before I put it in but not to worry -
goggle Classic Instruments and then click on WHATS NEW on the left sidebar then scroll down until you get to Sky drive speedo...theres a great photo of it - better than I could take. its only about 3 and 1/2 in long and 2 in wide...I vecroed it on top of my radio...very simple to hook up! Its true..in 20 sec it calibrated and driving is cool...so steady smooth! I love it. Just saw updated version has anti-theft in it to alarm your car!

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrew - that doesnt look like mine...did you get it from Classic instruments?

·
Registered
81 Posts
no mine is an autometer 5 inch. i guess yours is different.i love that it is a gps!no cables.sensors,gears. gota love technology.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I also have a GPS speedo now, when I put my new Dakota Digital VHX gauges in I also bought their GPS unit. What I like most about it, is that it works mounted under the dash and does not need a line of site with the satellites. Works great and don't ever have to worry again about changing gears or tire sizes. I'm sure you will like yours as much as I do mine. I think this is the way the future will go with speedometers and from what I have read they are more accurate than the mechanical type speedo's. Enjoy, :tu

·
Administrator
66,076 Posts
I too have a plug in gps so I can use it between cars and do not get lost in and around new suburbs. The speedo is very accurate and has over speed alerts :tu

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,676 Posts
Not sure yet Johnny.....Can you hook-up the Sky Drive to any electronic Classic Instruments speedo? Or just the 57 set below?

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay guys...there is still confusion over what is the Sky Drive GPS speedo.
Its not a regular GPS that you use to find out how to get someplace. Its an electronic GPs that works soley to replace your electronic speedo that doesnt work. Mickey - I can send you a photo of it working as there is nothing to see. See David's earlier post and you'll see what it looks like. Its very small as I said about 31/2 inches long and 2 in long. And David to answer your question you can use it with ANY electronic speedometer. It uses three wires..one black for ground, one red for constant 12volt source (I spliced into the glove compartment light bulb and one white wire that splices into the purple on the back of the electronic speedometer. Thats it. I then velcroed it to the top of my radio where daylight comes through the speaker dash grille. This position doesnt have the sun beating down on it which isnt good for any GPS...it can overheat. It works extremely SMOOTH! and recalibrates itself every 10 seconds just like a regular GPS which it is but doesnt have a display. Now they make them with an alarm built in. Great new innovative stuff!

·
51,676 Posts
Johnny.....I like it:):tu I have a problem with my Garmin sometimes losing reception in mountainous areas.....I wonder if the Sky Drive would be the same or worse, because where you have it located....Just curious my friend.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Okay guys...there is still confusion over what is the Sky Drive GPS speedo.
Its not a regular GPS that you use to find out how to get someplace. Its an electronic GPs that works soley to replace your electronic speedo that doesnt work. Mickey - I can send you a photo of it working as there is nothing to see. See David's earlier post and you'll see what it looks like. Its very small as I said about 31/2 inches long and 2 in long. And David to answer your question you can use it with ANY electronic speedometer. It uses three wires..one black for ground, one red for constant 12volt source (I spliced into the glove compartment light bulb and one white wire that splices into the purple on the back of the electronic speedometer. Thats it. I then velcroed it to the top of my radio where daylight comes through the speaker dash grille. This position doesnt have the sun beating down on it which isnt good for any GPS...it can overheat. It works extremely SMOOTH! and recalibrates itself every 10 seconds just like a regular GPS which it is but doesnt have a display. Now they make them with an alarm built in. Great new innovative stuff!

Sorry Hoss, I thought it was the other.....:sign0020:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I also have sky drive in my 57. It will lose reception in tunnels and close to mountains cliffs at times according to where the satellite is located but for the most part it works great. When we went to Pigeon Forge in the rain it did a great job. Most of the time when it lost reception because of the curves against the cliffs it was only for a few seconds at a time. I recommen
d it.

·
51,676 Posts
I also have sky drive in my 57. It will lose reception in tunnels and close to mountains cliffs at times according to where the satellite is located but for the most part it works great.
TBM....Where do you have your receiver unit located?

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
David...I talked extensively with Classic instruments engineers...Fred, John,etc. They experimented and even put one in a glove comparment and it still picked up the signal very well. I mounted mine on top of the radio below the speaker grill because my regular GPS blacked out one time when I left it on the windshield while the car was parked on a hot summer day. The heat in the rear package shelf likewise I was told will eventually fry the unit...its so accurate it the speedo pointer glides precision like exactly like my new cars. Doesnt matter if it stops for a second in a long tunnel..how many of them do you travel thru?

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more thing David..how many mountains are there in Florida?:sign0020:

·
Registered
870 Posts
thanks johnny I have a friend with a 32 ford and is having the same problem with his speedo from classic he just installed and he talked to there tech support and tried different things I will let him now about this gps thing :congrats::shakehands:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts