Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shortened the housing on my 9". In putting the axles back in, I'm concerned that my bearing is not flush with the housing. (can't remember this before I took it apart). I've hit it with a sledge, but they seem to stick out about 1/4". My finger shows what I mean.
Terry

Attachments

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes- they took enough out- the same amount as they took off the housing- good question though. I will double check with them tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
I am bye no means a Ford 9" expert, but the bearing's on my 57 axle stick out just a little also, the retaining bracket holds the bearing in place. I guess a good way to check would be to try and bolt on the retaining piece for the bearing, if it will not sit flush against the axle housing, then you will know the bearing is out to far.

:anim_25:
Rick

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Yes- they took enough out- the same amount as they took off the housing- good question though. I will double check with them tomorrow.
Measure the depth of the axle end housing and the width of the bearings. Not sure about Fords, but there are different bearing widths between '57 Chevy and '60 or so Chevy even though OD is the same. Make sure the bearing is the right width for your housing ends.

If the bearing width is OK...... Pop each axle shaft out and put some white lithium or black moly grease on the splines and slide it in as far as it will go. Then pull it out carefully and check the grease to see if the splines were cut far enough back for the axles to slide in all the way.

If the splines are machined far enough outboard not to prevent the axle shaft going all the way in and the bearing width is correct for the housing end it fits into, then the next thing to check is whether the axles need to be shortened a bit more.

That's all I can think of just now.

Good luck,

Harry

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
UMMM call me silly but where is the flange retainer plate? i do not see it in the picks. It generally goes on before the bearing.
Fords do have a protrusion of the bearing from the housing.
Fords run a plate recessed to allow correct pre-load on the outer race

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I would think, I could have answered my own question. I took pictures before I took it apart and this shows the bearing out a little. (picture attached Everything is fine now, I think. Thanks, guys.
Terry

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts