Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a hair away from getting the back end of my '56 back on the ground. I have the axle's inserted but they appear to be 1/8" away from being fully inserted. Attached are pics showing the gap - they're not super clear but you can see the gasket isn't flat. Any thoughts on the problem? I had a shop press new bearings on - are they not pressed on far enough? Just curious if there's a common mistake made here. The diff has been rebuilt, new bearings, greased the bearings on the outside (so they'll slide in). Using a piece of 2x4 wood and hammer to press them in. I've tightened the 4 bolts at each side, but it just won't creep in any more. Ug. Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
I am a hair away from getting the back end of my '56 back on the ground. I have the axle's inserted but they appear to be 1/8" away from being fully inserted. Attached are pics showing the gap - they're not super clear but you can see the gasket isn't flat. Any thoughts on the problem? I had a shop press new bearings on - are they not pressed on far enough? Just curious if there's a common mistake made here. The diff has been rebuilt, new bearings, greased the bearings on the outside (so they'll slide in). Using a piece of 2x4 wood and hammer to press them in. I've tightened the 4 bolts at each side, but it just won't creep in any more. Ug. Thanks for any insight!
Who you get axle bearing from and what number are they?

·
Premium Member
15,889 Posts
Where are your backing plates? They go on before the axles and are supposed to be between the axle housing and the axle retainers. That is where your issue is. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
omg - duh

The bearings are from East Coast Chevy. However, as HotRodHandyMan points out I left the backing plate out (because I'm putting discs on next year). I couldn't be more embarrassed. In fact, at this point, I'm not sure I'm worthy of owning such a fine automobile. :sign0020: Thank you very much for pointing this out to me. I'm much relieved it's a simple fix.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Adding disk to rearend

The bearings are from East Coast Chevy. However, as HotRodHandyMan points out I left the backing plate out (because I'm putting discs on next year). I couldn't be more embarrassed. In fact, at this point, I'm not sure I'm worthy of owning such a fine automobile. :sign0020: Thank you very much for pointing this out to me. I'm much relieved it's a simple fix.

But your not the first to put disk on the Stock rear.
I Like to know what others did to take up the space were the backing plate goes?
I got a kit to install my self so I like to know.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,692 Posts
Where are your backing plates? They go on before the axles and are supposed to be between the axle housing and the axle retainers. That is where your issue is. :anim_25:
Sharp as a tack Bruce :):congrats:

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Open up your kit and look at the instructions to see what it says. :)
:sign0020: I don't remember it having any Instructions.
But on top of that I pack it away it atic for now so I have to did it out to see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts