Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a eaton posi unit 373 gears so I decided to add disc brake system of my 1955 Chevy hardtop few years back. Car has been on jack stands the whole time while I was doing other stuff to it. I just noticed a leak at the gasket. I put the bearing cover back the way it came off. It's square on three sides and one side has a low spot. Mine was down, should it have been facing up like the picture of the gasket?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle
Azure Font Symbol Circle Electric blue

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I believe it goes down. If I remember right, there is a hole in the housing that matches up. I think it serves as an exit to the inner backside of the flange for oil should the seal leak. This way it would not contaminate the brake shoes and possibly have a failure.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I believe it goes down. If I remember right, there is a hole in the housing that matches up. I think it serves as an exit to the inner backside of the flange for oil should the seal leak. This way it would not contaminate the brake shoes and possibly have a failure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It makes all good sence, but now I'm running disc brakes on the back I think I will turn them up and pull both axles again. Inspect O-Rings, bearing shields and add some gasket sealant. Fluid should not be in that area from what I've read before. Cross you're fingers. Thanks guys. I hate doing rework.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Isn’t the notch there for the bearing to get lubrication and drain back? That’s why it’s on the bottom.

·
Registered
727 Posts
There is no seal inside that retainer where the axle passes through it. Putting sealant on the gasket will buy you a short amount of time until the retainer fills with oil and begins leaking out the center hole. The oil that leaks past the bearing does not drain back into the housing. You would not want to have any oil that had drained into that area to re-enter the housing because it could carry grit with it. The OEM bearing is sealed on the outside and is not supposed to let oil drain out. Hence I believe you need to replace the bearing.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It isn't apparent in your disk brake setup but with drum brakes that "notch" aligns with a hole in the drum brake backup plate so that any oil that leaks past the bearing into the retainer can drain through that hole and not enter the brake drum where it would foul the brakes. The notch goes downward. If you look from the center of the car outward you probably can see up into the retainer since there is nothing for the retainer to mate up against at the bottom when the backup plate is absent.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I went thru this name brand bearing, that name bearing and ALL leaked-finally found some NOS bearings---pressed them on---NO LEAKS

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I talked with Mikey (55wagoncrazy) he walked me through a plan of attack for this problem. Sucks when your axle leaks on your new wheels and haven't even left the driveway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts