Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to move my alt to the pass. side of my car to make room for the power steering pump. i need to use a v belt. does anyone know a company that makes a bracket or kit to mount an alternator on the passenger side of a b.b chevy with a short water pump?
i have been searching the web with no luck...or do i have to fab something up myself? any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
14,040 Posts
Factory BBC with short pump mounts the alternator to drivers side head. power steering mounts in the typical lower block position and the correct pump has a remote reservoir.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been looking for the same thing, Alan Grove makes the only ones I've seen. He has a whole page of bbc swp brackets, seemingly of his own design.
Why can't you use the typical low PS pump high alt pass side mounts?
My problem is a C4 cradle with limited space next to the balancer, seems nobody uses swp and V-belts with C4.
Grove also has a set that simply moves the PS pump and alt higher, but still keeps both on drivers side.
Not sure which pulley groove is used on the pass side alt mount bracket.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the Alan grove brackets which look good, i was hoping I could find something polished/ billet. I wanted to balance out the front of my engine with the p.s on the driver side and the alt. on the pass side. I'm going to try a couple different things and will post what I come up with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
bbc pass alt

check out powermaster brackets, I got mine from Summit Racing.
check out my photo album Renogasser axel/frame there is a picture of the front of my motor.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
i need to move my alt to the pass. side of my car to make room for the power steering pump. i need to use a v belt. does anyone know a company that makes a bracket or kit to mount an alternator on the passenger side of a b.b chevy with a short water pump?
i have been searching the web with no luck...or do i have to fab something up myself? any help would be appreciated
You should be able to do just as hotrod726 said, "Factory BBC with short pump mounts the alternator to drivers side head. power steering mounts in the typical lower block position and the correct pump has a remote reservoir."

The pump fits right under the alternator because the pump is small due to the remove reservoir and was factory from 65-68. You can get the pump from many 80s-90s truck/Suburban, so they are available as a rebuilt in the parts stores. Actually all you need is the housing and swap it with your pumps. Reservoirs are readily available on many GM vans. Or, they are available new at some of the Chevelle repro suppliers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts