Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this post [*New Floor Installation - Divers Half ] I mentioned that in June I had severely damaged my back and was scheduled for surgery on Aug 6.

Well I am home, Aug 12, and surprised at how well I seem to be doing. Relegated to wearing a back brace, using walkers, crutches and other devices that slow me down, but do help to navigate in an upright position.

Had one vertebra, nearly fuse by arthritis now completely fused and stabilized, a second vertebra fused and stabilized and a remaining portion of vertebra disc removed and a spacer anchored in its place.

Inside stitches that disappear and super glue on the outside. Procedure took a little over 2 1/2 hours - surgeon said bones and muscle were like a 40 year old which i pretty good since I am 2 years short of bring an octegenarian.

Worst part in the hospital was the pain killers 2nd and 3rd day - way to much and had to get off all of them to even be coherent. Only had Tylenol the last 4 days I was there.

Last night went upstairs to bed and down this morning using crutches.

will keep posted on progress - so far VERY GOOD

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Prayers your way. Don't over do it ! It's easy to over do it when you were in pain for so long. You can not explain that kind of pain to someone that hasn't been there. I got some fancy titanium in my neck a few years back...

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Walking ?

Your doctor will probably get you onto a dailey walking program at some point. When you start do what you can safely. Then gradually go a little more. :tu Soon you'll feel much better.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Back in early "94" I had a spinal fusion on L3/L4... I'm okay today but need to make sure I have lumbar support whenever I am sitting or driving very long... Mend fast my friend... Later, Dave

·
Registered
875 Posts
Bill glad to hear things are going well, as I said Ive been having some issues too I got the results from my Bone marrow biopsy and after a 4 yr remission I have a 3% return of my Myeloma, just waiting on Drs Appt not to know what next step is trying not to let it slow me down too much.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Bill, wish you all the best in your recovery from surgery. I had a ruptured disc and had a lumbar laminectomy in early '97. So far, so good. Have had 2 episodes since where I stupidly overdid things and threw my back out, but worked through the 1st OK. The 2nd was a couple of months ago and I'm still not 100%, but doing much better with low impact stretching and walking. Take things slow and easy and follow your doctor's instructions and you should be fine.

Winch57, good luck with your treatment and recovery, as well.

Hope the both of you are soon on the mend.

G-d bless,

Harry

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Back pain and surgery are no fun. I had a microdiscectomy and hemi laminectomy at L4/5 in April. I'm 4 months post op. The first 6 weeks were the worst. I still have pain while sitting though. May need more in the future...hoping not!

Take it easy and follow doctors orders to a T.

·
Registered
67,729 Posts
feel better bill, good to hear all went well. :tu

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
my wife had lower back surgery mar. of 2012 they are gradually weaning her off of fentanyl patches. take care best of luck and you will get there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts