Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Muroc I

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to reach a HUGE milestone (in my world) for my 55 sedan by ordering 17x7 and 17x11 wheels. I figured I'd try 4.5" bs on front and I am looking for suggestions on bs for the rear. Part of me says, "Why run an 11 inch wheel if you don't show it off with minimal backspace?" and the practical side of me asks if that will look the best and if it will affect tire wear? I want a really nice strret car, not an NHRA contender. Rear tires will be 315/35-17. Yes, it will be mini-tubbed and spring pocketed.

Oh, and in the interest of marital peace (haha)... my wife and I are debating the Budnik the Mirage or Muroc I. Feel free to "vote" on which to run. I actually like them both! I've been communicating with Jay at Budnik and cannot say enough how great he has been!

What say all you gearheads? Mirage or Muroc I? Mild dish or deep dish?

Attachments

·
12,256 Posts
I like a more open wheel if you have nice-looking brakes, but the mirage is "cheesy" to me with those floating ovals. Sorry, you asked. ;)

Do you have your rearend width determined already, or is that what you're trying to do? Not sure why you'd ask about an opinion on backspacing if you already have the rearend. Backspacing isn't about an opinion, it's about what fits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The whole truth, and only the truth...

Yes, I did ask. And I do appreciate your response! I have not been on these forums long, but I have realized some of you speak the words others might be afraid to say. That's why I posted here. I knew I'd get the truth! (Even if it may hurt a little.)

My favorite look for these cars is the Torque Thrust, or one of the many variations of the five-spoke, but I wanted to go a little different. I like the Salt Flat style, too, so when I saw the Muroc I it caught my attention. I was not too crazy about the Mirage when I first saw it, either, but it has kind of grown on me.

I do not have the 9-inch built yet, that's why I am asking about backspacing now. I'll get the wheels, then build the rest of the car around them.

·
Registered
68,758 Posts
cheesy works for me, i like the mirage (out of the two). :party0031:.............i'm more into old-fashion ( keystone, cragar, ect.). thats just me. get what you (wife!) like :thrasher:

·
Registered
37,799 Posts
If you want to see how those particular wheels look like with different spacing, I'd suggest you look at the current issue of Street Rodder magazine as well as recent issues over the last 12-24 months.

That style of wheel is very popular on street rods these days, and you see them in narrow versions on the front of those cars and in wider versions with various width and spacing on the back. You see them mostly on fenderless highboys or "track cars".

My opinion is they look good on that type of car if the rest of the car is done in the same theme. Not so sure what it would look like on a 55-57, or what the rest of a 55-57's looks should be to make them right.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Yes, I did ask. And I do appreciate your response! I have not been on these forums long, but I have realized some of you speak the words others might be afraid to say. That's why I posted here. I knew I'd get the truth! (Even if it may hurt a little.)

My favorite look for these cars is the Torque Thrust, or one of the many variations of the five-spoke, but I wanted to go a little different. I like the Salt Flat style, too, so when I saw the Muroc I it caught my attention. I was not too crazy about the Mirage when I first saw it, either, but it has kind of grown on me.

I do not have the 9-inch built yet, that's why I am asking about backspacing now. I'll get the wheels, then build the rest of the car around them.
Hi larry, i orderd a set of 17" x 11" torque thrust II with a 3" backspace..im getting a 9" rear cut to fit that combo

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahead of my time, or out of my mind?

Wow, not the responses I was hoping for. I will have to rethink the choices and "let my wife convince me" I like something else. If it's her idea she'll like it better.

Really, I do appreciate the honesty! Better to find out now, than after I spent the money. I know it's supposed to be all about what I like, but it's important to have other people like it, too!

Should I even build a '55? (kidding, of course I should!)

Keep the responses coming! It's not too late to turn this around! (Just please give me the truth. I'm married, so being told I'm wrong is nothing new. HAHAHA!)

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Larry, I just don't care for either of those wheels, I would stick with your feeling of the Torque Thrust or similar. Just not something I would run on my ride. ChecK this tire simulator out:
http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_visualizer.asp
Might give you some ideas. The wheels you showed above are close to the Billet Vintiques Lakester wheel.
JMHO
Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts