Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,
I just installed a B&M Sport automatic shifter in my 55 and can't get the back up lights to work. Theres two plug ins on the shifter switch, inner for neutral safety and outer for the backup lights. With a test light the inner safety switch has power with ignition on (but don't know if its of any use as it will start in any gear) but the back up terminal wire doesn't show any power.
When I add another ignition on wire to that switch terminal along with the one to the backup lights the back up lights are on in any gear instead of just reverse.
Help...lol... John

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,421 Posts
Hi guys and gals,
I just installed a B&M Sport automatic shifter in my 55 and can't get the back up lights to work. Theres two plug ins on the shifter switch, inner for neutral safety and outer for the backup lights. With a test light the inner safety switch has power with ignition on (but don't know if its of any use as it will start in any gear) but the back up terminal wire doesn't show any power.
When I add another ignition on wire to that switch terminal along with the one to the backup lights the back up lights are on in any gear instead of just reverse.
Help...lol... John
The neutral safety switch should ONLY show power when cranking, not when the key is on. The neutral safety wires come from the purple wire on the "sol" terminal of the ignition switch, then to the starter solenoid. The back up light switch should show power when the key is on. When in reverse, the wire to the back-up lights should show power. The reverse wires are originally green. Sounds like the switches may be out of adjustment and not transfering in the correct gear selection.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The neutral safety switch should ONLY show power when cranking, not when the key is on. The neutral safety wires come from the purple wire on the "sol" terminal of the ignition switch, then to the starter solenoid. The back up light switch should show power when the key is on. When in reverse, the wire to the back-up lights should show power. The reverse wires are originally green. Sounds like the switches may be out of adjustment and not transfering in the correct gear selection.
Thanks Don, I think I have it figured. Getting dark here but I see there is a third terminal hiding at the floor under the back up light switch. I'm sure when I hook into that it will work (fingers crossed lol).
John

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It sounds like both switches are not properly set. They are likely normal open contacts and close to complete the circuits when needed The park/Neutral switch should only allow the car to be started in park or neutral. This is done using detents or small protrussions on the shifter frame. The switches should be adjusted so they trip only when the car is in thses two posistions. The backup lights work on on the reverse posistion. It also sounds like this is not setup properly also.

That third terminal could be for power to a light source on the shifter.

Sounds like some adjusting could fix the issues

:anim_25:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,421 Posts
You need to put the wires on the correct terminals on the switches. As Andy said, the wires have to be on the common and normally open terminals. I think this is the type of switch that is used. If the switch has a third terminal, the normally closed is not used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts