Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the 55 out to meet a fellow I know who was in town from Vermont. We had a nice lunch and then I went to get the grand daughter from daycare. On the way home I was sitting at a redlight and when it changed the 55 wasn't interested in going anywhere. I played with the pedal and finally got into a gas station. I knew as soon as I turned it off and back on what it was. That all too familar fuel pump whine wasn't there. Let it sit for about 3 mins and turned the key again. The pump kicked on, but was about twice as loud as normal. At any rate I started it and squared it up in a parking spot where the tow truck could back up to it easy and waited. Had the guy drop the car in front of the house and started it and drove it into the garage. I ordered a new fuel pump from Jegs this morning. I got the bad pump from a friend 3 or 4 years ago and it was supposed to have had 10 to 20 runs on it. Oh well, it gives me a reason to make a nicer mount plate for the new pump when I make the swap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well. don't feel too bad. I had my wagon in the driveway for a few hours cleaning out my garage yesterday, and code inforcement told me I can't store ANY non running cars here. I explained to them it was being restored and will be back inside by the end of the day. Said it didn't matter, it obvouosly didn't run without a motor and I can't even store it inside my garage.

Well, I bet you can guess what I told them..........something about prying it from my cold dead hands came to mind. We shall see who wins this. What I have inside my home is none of thier business.

Hope you got your fuel pump fixed.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Well I cannot beleave that someone would try to stop you for setting your car outside while cleaning out the garage.

Down here in Kentucky, The enforcement would either be shot at , sick the dogs on or whatever, if they even entered your yard much less trying to tell you what to do.

Best of Luck

otis:)

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Mike

sorry to hear about your fuel pump problems, so which one is better electric fuel pump or mechanical, I know they all fail eventually.

Otis

·
Administrator
49,364 Posts
Alloy thats why i moved out of the city limits. They started red tagging non running,non tagged vehicles in out town. I watched my p`s and q`s for a while longer until i could find a place to buy in the country and i don`t have to worry about anyone..... except the wife. HAHA. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

·
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hah! Nope she never had a clue, LOL... Otis, if a mechanical pump will supply the need, I would go mechanical. Mine has tunedport injection and requires 45PSI at the rails. I have to use electric.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well my neighbor has a nova vert, a 50 olds, and some rice grinder totaled pickup 30 feet from my driveway in the back of his house. I'm going to call on monday and ask if he got a notice about his "non-running" vehicles. If he didn't, I'm going to cry discrimation.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
It's not really called discrimination (unless you are a member of a minority class), it's called 'selective enforcement' and it's illegal! It'd be interesting to find out who called code enforcement on you and how they knew your car is non-running!?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
This is interesting, I noticed that you're from Vancouver, WA, so I looked at the Vancouver Municipal Code and found this:

Section 17.14.280 Requirements effecting junk and inoperable vehicles.

a. Junk vehicles. The storage or retention of junk vehicles on private property is declared a public nuisance and is prohibited; provided that this subsection does not apply to:

b. Inoperable vehicles. The storage of inoperable vehicles on private property is declared a public nuisance. No person shall retain or store outdoors an inoperable vehicle for more than seven (7) consecutive or non-consecutive days in any calendar year. No more than (1) unenclosed or unscreened inoperable vehicle may be on a property at any one time.

c. Subsection (a) and (b) does not apply to:

1. A vehicle or part thereof that is completely enclosed within a building in a lawful manner, so as not to be visible from adjacent or nearby public or private property;

2. A vehicle that is stored or parked in a lawful manner on private property in connection with the business of a licensed vehicle dismantler or licensed vehicle dealer and is fenced in accordance with the provisions of RCW 46.80.130.

So, if this is the correct code, then you're doing absolutely nothing wrong unless it took you 8 days to clean out your garage! It also seems to NOT apply to a vehicle stored in your garage.

I'd find out who the code enforcement officer was and ask him EXACTLY what code did you violate by parking your car outside while you cleaned your garage!

I'm a little sensitive to this stuff - I've lived in some really picky places and had some real picky neighbors. Often the code enforcement people think that they can just scare someone into complying with a non-existent code.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No, didn't take 8 days to clean it out. I like the "unscreened" part. I didn't see that. I think I'll pick up one of those temporary garage in a box things and use it when I need to put a car outside.

My conversation with the code enforcement "officer" got pretty heated. I told him I was calling his supervisor on monday.......and that pretty much stopped our conversation. Well shall see how this goes. You found more info than I did and gave me amunition for my call tomorrow. I didn't find any info about a car being inside, I just found "NO unoperable cars on private property in clark county", and 2 inoperable allowed in uncorporated areas.

I'll let you all know what happens tomorrow.

Dang...........I'm sorry I hijacked this thread. I was just venting when I originally posted. My apoligies to everyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know of a police officer who would drive around looking for old cars in peoples yards. He would tell them they were in violation, give them the number of the towing service who would take it away for free, and he would end up with the car. Sometimes I wonder how much of this goes on? Carlg

·
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the 55 roared back life tonight. Got the new pump in today. I mounted it lower this time. I think the fuel was draining back enough that the pump had to start dry each time and burned itself up. It's now just about even with the plane of the bottom of the tank. I also ran the line from the tank lower and made a loop that will stay full all the time. Hopefully this one will last awhile :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts