Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attended the boardwalk classic show in Wildwood New Jersey this past weekend, great weather, great show, lined up on the boardwalk each day thousands of people, lots of DO ***, fireworks, drive in movie in the street cruising every night but my best friend had some rotten luck. The Irish festival was also the same weekend and while cruising both sides of the street including the hotel balconies were lined with cheering people ( looked like mardi gras at places ) While stopped at on intersection people were holding signs, Boobs for burnouts, Light em up and such and my best friend in hi 56 was just in front of me and did not see the unmarked police car across the street and he did a small burnout. He was charged with reckless driving and given a mandatory court appearance which means another $82 round trip ferry crossing and 6 points on his license if found guilty....recklass driving seems a little severe for just getting caught up in the moment and spinning the tires a little, especially since there was evidence of burnouts at every single intersection. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the police dept for doing their job, but reckless driving seems overkill. as a previous police officer I would think that " careless driving" which is much less severe, less points and does not require a mandatory court appearance would have been much more in line.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I hear this from people all over the Northeast. Especially at large events. I just spoke to a friend who return from the Lake George NY meet. It's touted as the larges streetrod/hotrod event in the NE. He said the cops were out in full force writing tickets for everything they could. Hey these small towns have to bring in many cops at overtime pay. Guess they have to pay for them somehow. They love your money but wish you could just wire it in and stay home! That's why I no longer go to car or motorcycle events. Let them balance their budgets with some other persons money!

Don

BTW the person with the Boobs for burnouts sign was probably the towns tax receiver!

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
I look at this from several different views. We go to a cruise about 120 miles away. They used to allow a lot of stuff, burnouts included. But it seemed to escalate each year until there were some accidents injuring people. So a couple of years ago they went to cracking down on the burnouts and street racing. This year was the first year in which i had my car on the road for it and it went smoothly. Yes the cops were out, saw several cars riding around also but didn`t see them messing with anyone. I did hear one issue a warning over the loud speaker for the driver to slow down.
Terry

·
Registered
227 Posts
I stopped going to Wildwood five years ago for just that reason. The cops do everything they can to discourage cruising. So much so, that it makes it a waste of gas to even drive down there. They block roads off here and there and funnel you around till you wind up at the foot of the bridge that leads out of town. "Ok, I get the hint!!".
What ruined Wildwood was the 18yr old punks in their 5.0 Mustangs that, instead of doing a burnout and then letting out of it, they gotta stretch it for five blocks. Not too cool when the sidewalks are lined with spectators.
I can't blame the cops for doing their jobs but, the zero tollerance/xtreme fines discourages alot of people from returning. At least it did me. Those bad apples ruined it for the whole bunch.

68,758 Posts
that is a shame earl. i just hope he got an eye full for the burnout. :winking0070:

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Law Enforcement here in Columbus is a little more understanding. When GoddGuys was her in July this year I was out in my 55 doing burnouts right beside a patrol car. For the most part they understand that we love our cars and are not going to be stupid and ruin what took years to build.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi, around here, Police discourage large meet/cruise night without permit and close down business that get too much complaints because of noise, burnout & stupid acting. Guys, there is place to evaluate your performance, don't use the road as a race track because our friend policemen will not be so friendly.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I looked at this from both perspectives and ya im not against a short burnout or grabbing second gear and barking the tires but there's always somebody that wants to turn it up a notch and out do the last guy..i keep thinking of the fellow from Texas with the ProMod car a couple of years ago at a Tennessee event that did a burnout and lost control killing six bystanders..not something i would want to live with. Take it to the track where the conditions are controlled and drive it like ya stole it:)

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/17/out-of-control-dragster-kills-six-in-tennessee/

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Around here the cops don't mind if you break a little traction here and there at the small events. But at the large events... thats another story. :confused0006: its all about the revenue.

·
Premium Member
13,073 Posts
Your lucky it's not 1955 the cops would of yanked you out of the car beat the snot out of you gave you 5 tickets,and in the end you would have thanked them for not towing your car !!!:D

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I can enjoy my trifive at cruise-ins without exhibition driving... Later, Dave

·
Administrator
67,985 Posts
I dont think my tri5 can spin the wheels :eek:, seems like its everywhere though, down here the cops now have the power to impound your car :eek: yep tow truck is arranged to drive your car to an impound yard where you need to pay to get it out again as well as loosing points on your licence :sign0013:, if thats not enough the cops have also introduced a three strike policy where if your caught and have your car impounded three times thats it the car then gets crushed :scared0012:, we had our first crushing on the news to deter people :bawling: having said that usually classic, hotrod etc are left alone its the newer generation of drivers with the turbos and modified cars that have killed alot of new drivers that have not had enough experience on the road yet.

·
Registered
933 Posts
..i keep thinking of the fellow from Texas with the ProMod car a couple of years ago at a Tennessee event that did a burnout and lost control killing six bystanders.
Don't you think this just about says it all?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Doesn't really make any difference. Race car or street car. He was doing a burn out on a public street and was busted for it. I've saw plenty of street legal cars loose it on the street from doing burnouts.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Boobs for burnouts, Light em up and such and my best friend in hi 56 was just in front of me and did not see the unmarked police car across the street....

The ultimate entrapment for red-blooded American boys. Perhaps the 'boobs' should be cited for "Reckless Increase in Blood Pressure"

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
The cop says: "kinda lost traction there, didn't ya?
ME: "no sir, was tryin to find some..

Went to the NSRA nats in Minneapolis some yrs ago. Folks were warned that the hiway patrol would ticket anyone w/ bludots...Pretty "cs" in my book.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Boo Hoo ! The guy broke the law and got caught..Not bad luck just stupidity. Geez no one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore. Boo Hoo.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts