Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas in need of a few opinions....installed a 6speed last winter, all is well except just recently starting hearing a low pitch hum/growl type of noise from around front of trans area. Can only hear it in the car, also seems like I feel a vibration that goes along with the noise. I'm thinking maybe the new bronze pilot bushing was damaged when trans was installed??..if so I know I won't be able to pull it apart till Nov/Dec but am concerned that I may be tearing up the input shaft on tranny if I continue to drive it occasionally. Will a damaged bronze bushing be able to tear up the steel end of the input shaft?...or will the bushing just destruct??...what do you think?..thx

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I was told only to use a pilot bearing and not a bronze bushing with the new T56 I bought. I don't know why but they sounded pretty adamant about it. I didn't question it.

Personally, I wouldn't run that car any longer without getting to the root of the cause. Like Rick said, I wouldn't worry about the tip of the input shaft. But I would worry about what else the input shaft movement could damage.

·
Registered
36,946 Posts
A roller bearing vs. a bronze bushing for a pilot bearing is one of those never ending arguments.

My LT1 engine/6 speed came from the factory with a bushing.

A roller bearing is more easily damaged during installation, and when a roller bearing goes bad it's really bad.

A bronze bushing is much more forgiving and still works a little bit when damaged (at least at first).

With bad pilot bearing, your clutch will drag when you try to release it so this will cause hard shifting and synchro wear. It will eventually take out the input bearing on the transmission.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for info fellas...have not made a definate diagnosis yet...exhibiting none of the symptoms you mentioned Rick. Gotta get it up in the air and listen underneath....inside the car it's a very low pitched hum with a newfound vibration.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had a throw out bearing once that hummed really loud. But if that was the problem you would only hear it when you press the clutch, unless it is out of adjustment and spinning all the time.

·
Registered
36,946 Posts
As you suspect, not necessarily a pilot bearing problem.

Could be most anything. Keep your ears open, you may get more clues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts