Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vacation started today at 10:00am.I get the nod from the MAN that I can work half a day and start my vacation early.I wanted to get my '55 ready for a carshow 40 miles away.I get home and start it up and its running like its got a fouled plug so i shot the headers with my laser temp gun and all are within 50deg of each other and I look at the fuel filter and its full of junk,swap that out and decided to take it down my street.I get 1/4 of a mile away and the tach is at 200 RPM's and it stops running-great.I pull over and it rolls down hill out of the way and i try to start it up and it wants to but doesnt,it trys to but as soon as it starts up i let go of the key and nothing.I call my girlfriend who shows up with my 2500HD and a chain.For the first time flat-towing she did a great job and stayed at 15-20 mph all the way home.We get the '55 in the garage and I unplug the power wire from the HEI distributor and turn the key on and with a test light check it-no power,i run a jumper directly from the battery over to the terminal on the distributor and turn the key and its fires right up and runs until iI pull the jumper.Looks like I need a new ignition switch doesnt it.I did check the wiring at the switch and it not burnt or discolored.What do you guys think,I dont want to go all vacation without driving my '55!Thanx in advance.
GREG

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,424 Posts
Can we assume that you no longer use the ballest resistor? You shouldn't have, but if you do, the resistor is probably bad.
It does sound like the switch, unless you have a bad connection between Ign 1 terminal and the HEI.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Greg. I would check for power coming directly off your switch before replacing it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ACARDON,you are right that I did away with the resister when i put the HEI distributor in place of the points.
BELAIRRUDY,I will recheck that just to make sure.I priced out a new switch from Danchuck and its just under $100 and may be about that with shipping charges.
GREG

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Gregg, Take your old switch and go to your local auto parts store. I did and found one that was a LOT cheaper then what you quoted. If I remember correctley the one I found was listed a 63 or 64 year model and it worked with my original key cyclinder.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve,nope you arent the only one.It figures this happens to me-AGAIN!This is the third years in a row that I couldnt make it to that paticular show thats held in town and I made plans to meet up with a few good friends.Oh did I mention that the side mirror on the door had to be taken off because it the screw broke when I went to tighten it up.Today is a new day and i hope to find a switch so I can drive my car.
GREG

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Steve,nope you arent the only one.It figures this happens to me-AGAIN!This is the third years in a row that I couldnt make it to that paticular show thats held in town and I made plans to meet up with a few good friends.Oh did I mention that the side mirror on the door had to be taken off because it the screw broke when I went to tighten it up.Today is a new day and i hope to find a switch so I can drive my car.
GREG
Greg

Im relieved , I thought Im the one that had all the bad luck :eek:
keep us posted :wavey:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WONT RUN

Today,I went to the parts store to get a new switch and after a 1/2 hour we find one that may work.I get home and end up tripping on another original switch that looks to be in good condition.I go to hook up the wiring and realize that the harness is kinda short for me to easily plug the wires back on the replacement switch.So after I drop the column down and pull the speedo partway just so I can get to the wires and finally get them plugged onto the switch I get to hook up the battery.I turn the key and it starts until I let go of the key-THE SAME THING AS BEFORE!!!!!So I am taking a break to cool off.
What is the issue I have with this car,its been fine up and till my vacation started.I am getting discouraged and wanted to go to a few shows during the week,the ones I cant make it to when I am working.Thanks for any advice.
GREG

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WIRES

ACARDON,I have them hooked together like you suggested.I dont know why I am loosing power to the HEI.I have had the HEI in the car for 2 years now.I am gonna get back out to the garage and double check the wiring where I spliced the two wires together just to make sure one of them didnt get unhooked for some reason.Maybe I didnt need that new switch after all but I have it just in case.
GREG

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SWITCH

Pete,thanks for that I needed it,for real.I havent gone out to touch my car since my last post,still kinda upset and the more I look at it the more I know that I need to get a new wiring harness.I think for the time being I will hook a 12v power to a switch and circuit breaker or relay to a toggle switch somethink like I did to jump the switch in an earlier post-the first i think-so I can drive it and get the car up and running untilI get the money for a new wiring harness.
GREG

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,424 Posts
Greg, are you getting power to the ignition switch? Do any accessories work such as the heater motor or radio?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
POWER

ACARDON,my radio works and the heater never has since I have owned the car.One very simple thing that I neglected to do was look at the fuse panel to see if there may be a fuse for it,do you know if there is.My luck hasnt been the greatest lately but it wont get fixed if I dont stay on it.
GREG

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
POWER

ACARDON,I will check out the connection in the a.m. as you suggested and thank you for your help I appreciate it alot.Thats what makes this site so great.I will keep you posted as to what I find,should be alittle easier where I have dropped the steering column and pulled the speedo head out to see what going in in there.
GREG

·
Registered
66,315 Posts
a new week greg, hope it works out for you. :anim_25:

·
Registered
817 Posts
personally I would run a new line from the egnition to the hei just to be 100% its not a bad wire not a bad line to run and with a hei it would probably be better with a little heavier guage wire anyways. thats what I did when I installed my flame thrower dist just to be on the safe side. if it doesnt fix it then you did not lose anything.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE

Well,heres where I am at.I rewired the HEI from the big power post on the starter to a 50amp toggle switch and then wired it out to the HEI through a fusable link so the HEIis getting full power.It started up and like before and I drove it around for a bit and all seemed ok.I drive to a carshow 40 miles away and stayed for a short time and drove about half way home and put some gas in it and then nothing but the engine turning over.I pushed it from the fuel pump and tried it again-nothing.Just then a good friend pulled in with his '69 SS Chevelle and he helped see if I had any spark and I did cuz when he turned the key for me it lit up,mind you this is after i unplugged no1 plug wire and used a screwdriver off the header to check for spark.He is a mechanic and thought the problem may be in the module or the pickup.I made it home and got my fathers brand new Mallory HEI distributor and dropped that in.Now the car runs fantastic and has a crisper throttle,so that other HEI was faulty and I went through all this and wasted most of a vacation to fix it.So now the carshow I went to last night was fun but on the way home the plastic oil gauge line at the fitting on the gauge starts dripping oil all over my carpet!!!Will it ever end?
GREG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts