Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I have an original '55 radio in my car, but the insides have been removed and replaced with a modern stereo. It has 4 speaker outputs and a connection for an I-Pod/ MPV 4 player etc. I have rear speakers hidden under the parcel shelf and a duel tweeter speaker in the original location. The I-pod sits inside the glove box so it all looks visually stock.
The radio plays okay and the I-pod plays okay, driving along there is no noticeable interference. The problem I have is if I stall the car or turn it off when I pull over for a while and leave the stereo on, it makes a terrible, really loud, interference sound through the speakers, when I go to start it. Is there some sort of suppressor or filter that I can use to stop this happening. The car has a 327 V8, TH-350 and has an alternator. It has been rewired with an AAW kit.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The radio plays okay and the I-pod plays okay, driving along there is no noticeable interference. The problem I have is if I stall the car or turn it off when I pull over for a while and leave the stereo on, it makes a terrible, really loud, interference sound through the speakers, when I go to start it. Is there some sort of suppressor or filter that I can use to stop this happening. The car has a 327 V8, TH-350 and has an alternator. It has been rewired with an AAW kit.
The accessory power should be killed when the ignition switch is in the start position so the radio, heater, etc. will have no power when the engine is cranking. Is the radio connected to accessory power or ignition power?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,383 Posts
The accessory power should be killed when the ignition switch is in the start position so the radio, heater, etc. will have no power when the engine is cranking. Is the radio connected to accessory power or ignition power?
Don is correct (of course) How do you have the radio wired?

·
Administrator
70,785 Posts
There are suppressors you can fit they are like inductors not sure if its a ferrite coil with wire wrapped round it but its supposed to cut down intereference, there are also suppressors that you put under the hood :anim_25:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The stereo is connected to accessory power, so the ignition must be on for it to work.
The problem I have is if I stall the car or turn it off when I pull over for a while and leave the stereo on, it makes a terrible, really loud, interference sound through the speakers, when I go to start it.
The 55 ignition switch has ignition terminals and 1 accessory terminal. The accessory terminal SHOULD NOT have power when the key is in the start position, so while the engine is cranking, the radio should not have any power and should not make any sound at all.
I suspect the noise is because the radio has power while the engine is cranking and because the voltage drops during cranking, the radio is operating at too low voltage to operate properly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wired the stereo from a spare fuse way on the AAW fuse panel. Can't remember which, but it may be the one for Air Conditioning, Power Seats or something else that I knew I would never be fitting. But I know it is only powered when ignition is on. If I move the supply to the accessory terminal on the ignition switch, I suppose I could then put an in-line fuse on it for the stereo. If this will stop the interference then I'll do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.