Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me how to fix this? The trunk fits flush around the sides but the top is too high. Its like the hinges may be too high but I'm not sure how to adjust them.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Mostly that gap is caused by too much play in the hinges or hinge. I would also want to check the latch and the gap on the lower channel

·
Registered
657 Posts
You can probably fix it by placing a shim on the rear most hinge to deck lid bolts. The shim goes between the hinge and deck lid. At least that is my recollection. Might take more than one.

Don

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
The other Don is correct, put a shim between the hinge and trunk lid at the rear bolt only.

·
Registered
37,298 Posts
x3, the others have it right for the fit at the front of the lid. Shim the back bolt. Backwards from what you first think, but it works.

Looks like the fit is fair at the bottom, except your driver side dogleg needs to move up.

You didn't show the gap next to the window. If it's good, you need to increase the gap on the vertical run on the driver side. If it has a wider gap at the front on the passenger side, you can fix both by moving the right side forward at the hinge.

The hardest part to fit is the gap where the lid and quarters curve from horizontal to vertical. This may require some pie cuts on the quarters. Either to raise the curved area or to lower it. You may need to make the similar pie cuts on the vertical run on the driver side, if you can work it out other ways.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,749 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
You can probably fix it by placing a shim on the rear most hinge to deck lid bolts. The shim goes between the hinge and deck lid. At least that is my recollection. Might take more than one.

Don
Hi Don:
Does that mean that only "one" of the bolts gets the shim(s)? If I'm understanding you correctly, you would cause the hinge to flex downward towards the trunk floor, thereby sucking down the deck lid somewhat?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
Hi Don:
Does that mean that only "one" of the bolts gets the shim(s)? If I'm understanding you correctly, you would cause the hinge to flex downward towards the trunk floor, thereby sucking down the deck lid somewhat?
Nothing flexes, the trunk lid is raised in the rear by the shim, so when it is closed back down to be level with the quarters, the front of the lid goes down also.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The driver's side bottom is just stuck up there with a clamp in that picture. The left side gap did look a little better before I cut the bottom of the quarter off.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Agree with Rapper57 pull ur hinges and check the pivot holes and pins.
On my car they were shot i welded and redrilled the holes.I also found the pin that holds the torsion rod pivot arm to be so badly worn it was only hanging together by a thread. I recommend checking these first before shimming if ok go ahead and shim. Cheers Tommo

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
I spent an entire winter working on mine (a long story). Found out in a hurry that every tiny change to one spot, changes everything else. After a while you kinda get in a rhythm of moving from one corner to the next trying this and that to get the best average fit all around.
Good luck with that, and have a hand-full of different size shims at the ready.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,749 Posts

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave, I've had my eye on that book since it posted and I thank you for your part in getting it up here. My trunk gaps are looking far better than they did when I started. I wish I had more experience adjusting panels on these old cars but I dont. The only reason I got it right is because I simply didnt give up until it looked right. I messed with the quarter/trunk/tailpan alignment for hours.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Just wondering if trunk fitment should be done with weatherstripping installed?
I think it is a good idea to do that.

I put my weatherstrip on when I fitted my lid and took it back off to paint it. I used some silicone for that and it peeled off OK allowing it to be re-installed afterwards.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think it is a good idea to do that.

I put my weatherstrip on when I fitted my lid and took it back off to paint it. I used some silicone for that and it peeled off OK allowing it to be re-installed afterwards.
Thanks for confirming what I thought. I know that when we are going for lazer straight body panels every little detail counts.

7,082 Posts
If ever get done, my best hope is for a gentle wave. :sign0020: Lloyd :bowtier:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts