Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new AC Delco Ballast Resistor and it has a blue slash mark next to one of the terminals. What does this blue mark represent?:confused0006:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Maybe could mean it passed final inspection...

·
52,812 Posts
Can you post a photo?

·
52,812 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
ballast resistor w/ black dot 58-64 high performance

ballast resistor w/ blue stripe - 58-67 std performance 63-67 Vette without fuel injection 64-65 409 with hydraulic lifters

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't ask me what the ohms rates are - I'll loose my coveted brownie point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey jwmbishop, can this be used in a 55' stock? tryin to clean up engine compartment and the one installed is all crusty.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes the blue stripe is the std perf (most resistance) - I would run it with a High Perf coil - on a stock ign this will wake up the engine.

I would not use the std resistor on a cammed, high comp or dual point dist as you may not have enough spark available.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
The blue striped resistor is 1.8 ohms and the black 0.2 ohms. However i have seen many aftermarket resistors with the blue stripe and when measured with an ohmeter have a wide variance on actual resistance. As others have stated the blue is for most std performance engines and the black for high performance ( i think 2x4's & fuelie). The lower resistance gives a hotter spark but will burn your points much quicker. To be sure which one you have regardless of color or markings check it with a meter.

ken 57

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks ken - just added the ohm ratings to my notebook!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts