Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 56 Chev 265 V8, and switching over to the PerTronix Ignitor electronic ignition with the new Flame Thrower coil. I was told that if I switch the stock coil to the new Flame Thrower coil, I could omit the resistor. If so, how is the wiring done, the ignition wiring side of the stock resistor connect directly to the positive of the new coil? Also I am looking for the wiring detail of the 56 ignition switch. Thanks for any help on this, I want to make sure my information is correct!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Thought I would chime in here as I am interested in the answers you get.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I went with the Skip White HEI for 45.00 with a flame thrower coil 29.00 and eliminated the ballast resister. Changed my wires to taylor with the female ends at distributer and opened up my plug gap to .050. Works great and no issues yet. The dizzy is model 6701R . Check is stuff on e-bay. I don't know if the dizzy will work on a 265 or not. I think it will work on a 57 265 Jim

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on these recently. My understanding is that the Pertronix I requires the ballast resistor, but that you can eliminate it with the Pertronix II and III. The Pertronix III has the multi spark and rev limiter. You need to match the correct flame-thrower coil to the specific distributor. (difference in ohms) They seem to be wildly popular.

I put a new wiring harness in my '57 from starter switch to solenoid, (including neutral safety switch, temp sender, oil dummy light, I think it was about $50 from Danchuck and was a simple install.) My lines had lots of splices and I wanted to run a heavier gage ignition/distributor wire. New harness was the only way to fly for me. I ended up going with an MSD HEI distributor (remote coil to get smaller dizzy cap) but I was highly interested in the Pertronix III

'56 ignition switch is a little different than '57 from what i understand, so I'll shut my mouth now.....on my '57 the same ign wire operated starter and running positions....but I think it might be different on '56. (I think there is a suggested wire splice to achieve same effect)

Ace

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The instructions that come with the Pertronix Ignitor say to keep the ballast resistor in the circuit.

If you wire the module up as per the Pertronix instructions in a 1955-56 Chevy with the black wire connected to the negative (-) side of the coil and the red wire to the top of the ballast resistor you will have low voltage to the module while cranking. If you have a later model starter with an “R” terminal on the solenoid you can solve this problem by running a wire from the “R” terminal to the top of the ballast resistor which will provide a full 12v to the module while cranking.

If you have an original 1955-56 starter without the “R” terminal you can get a Starter Solenoid Repair Kit from Napa (#ECH STK2) for around $14. The parts in this kit will add an “R” terminal to your early starter solenoid.

Just to sum it up the red wire connects to the top of the ballast resistor, the black wire is connected to the negative (-) side of the coil, and a jumper wire from the “R” terminal on the solenoid to the top of the ballast resistor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts