Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be posting all the progress on Bam bam's 57 in this thread.

The car's been here for a while waiting patiently in line for me to begin working on it. Mikey's got the stainless at his place. After many strenuous hours of moving heavy ssshhhhtuuufff all day i've finally got the 57 in the shop, the 67 GTO in the tent n moved the 69 AMC SCRamble to one of the other garages for now.

During the moving of ssshhhttuuuff the wheel of one of the engine stands found a divot n tipped over, thus spewing oil all over my garage floor. Since i ran out of oil dry i used the cat litter my daughter left here. Now the garage smells like a potporie something or another. Stinks to me though.

Anyway here are the pics from today. No actual work on the car but lots of moving piecesparts n a little bit of cussin. Now it's time to rest my achin back on a heating pad n ice every 20 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is where the rack is for the rotiserrie. So, you can see why it'll be tomorrows project.

·
Registered
66,005 Posts
you need a bigger shop, thanks for sharing.:anim_25: -----> what you do after lunch?

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you need a bigger shop, thanks for sharing.:anim_25: -----> what you do after lunch?
All that was after lunch:sign0020:

Before lunch I finished assembling a 07 Avalanche rust repair job for a fellow Scouter. He's picking it up tomorrow.:tu

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will be looking forward to seeing the build.
What I-6 is that, and will he be using it?
That I-6 is the 4.0 out of Storm's jeep. She now has a 4.7 Stroker motor in it with 305 HP.

Bam Bam's gotta v 8 in his already.. He's got the chassis pretty much done, which is why I'll take the body off the chassis to work on it. Beside it's much easier to do the roof on the rotisserie.

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was up before dawn waiting for the sun to come up when the boys decided they wanted to be up right that second. As one began announcing his intent with his incredibly load outside bark. The other one began howling at him as if to say shut up it's too early yet. That or it hurt his ears which i can simpithise with.
After going over some parts orders n emails, n this site too of coarse. I went out to sort through the box of parts bam bam sent along. Laid them all out on a table to see what was here n then started to unbury the rack. Took a while as some of the ssshhtttufff on it was a bit heavy n awkward to pick up. I got everything moved and rearranged then brought in all the parts for the rotisserie to begin set up for the body. Once that was ready it was time to set up the body for lifting n remove the body bolts. Things went pretty smoothly considering i was by myself. My son had already headed into work. The body is on the rack n boltrd down ready for metal working to begin.
The chassis is in the tent for now. I have to get another 57 convertible out of the trailer n bring it in the shop to change the rear springs n shocks. It's leaning to the drivers side n we've already changed the front springs n had the chassis checked on a frame aligner at a local shop. So this was his next step.
I'll post a few pics for now n then get the 57 moved inside..

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
oh boy i am ready to see whats next, all my under hood sheet metal that i sent fuzzy is nos parts rad support. fender wells . splash pan and a few other parts . one fender is from mikey that he did for a customer of mine but he could not wait so i gave him mine i had saved , and took the one mikey had prepped for him . all the other body parts are rust free . the body has a few spots that fuzzy will have o address . i put the full floor and trunk in . i hope i did ok . i had also done the complete frame. well not to sit back and watch .
thanks fuzzy

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Backed the 57 convertible in n put it up on stands. Checked a few dimensions at the frame on each side. The frame checks out level.
It was suggested the lean was in the rear suspension. According to the measurements the rear suspension in right on the money. Same specs on both sides.
I went back to the front suspension and the lower control arms are the same which would be expected since they both sit on a stand at the same height. Looking closer n measuring everything I could. The only thing I found was a difference in the upper ball joint dimension from the control arm to the top of the spindle. Nuts are on the same number of threads yet one side is longer by 3/4".
So i'll inform the owner that i'm ordering 4 new ball joints.if i'm changing one, i'm changing them all while it's here.

Oh and I think I found his loss of power while going down the road. He had 3 plug wires come offand has a tiny air cleaner that is pretty much plugged.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,028 Posts
Fuzzy,
If you have any questions on what I did on the fender, let me know. It was stripped/blasted to bare metal. Epoxy primer. Straightened and a small area on the bottom repaired. Just some pin holes were welded up where the seal was.. Then blocked with high build 2K several times and sealed. You shouldn't need to do much but block it to match the level of the rest of the parts Bam Bam brought you.

Photos added including the special shipping container I built to ship it.

Mikey

Attachments

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mikey, I saw the small repair area from the back side. Looked pretty minimal.

It came wrapped in a blanket inside the body when it arrived here.

Bam bam, Do you have the side glass for it or should I order it and pick it up at the Jefferson swap meet next weekend (9/26)? I've got the front and rear windshields on a shelf in the attached garage where they are safe. If you'll be putting the side glass in yourself that's fine too.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,028 Posts
There was some pitting also, but I cannot remember if I smoothed it with All Metal or not.

It was the last real nice RH 57 Fender that I brought from TEXAS when I came here.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
Mikey, I saw the small repair area from the back side. Looked pretty minimal.

It came wrapped in a blanket inside the body when it arrived here.

Bam bam, Do you have the side glass for it or should I order it and pick it up at the Jefferson swap meet next weekend (9/26)? I've got the front and rear windshields on a shelf in the attached garage where they are safe. If you'll be putting the side glass in yourself that's fine too.
i have all the side glass here and all the door guts , let me know on the gaskets for the front and rear i know the back is t and n the front is different i have others here if you think you need different company . was going to do side glass my self . dont know if i sent all the gaskets for door or not will you need to line it all up let me know i will get what ever else you need .
dean

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have all the side glass here and all the door guts , let me know on the gaskets for the front and rear i know the back is t and n the front is different i have others here if you think you need different company . was going to do side glass my self . dont know if i sent all the gaskets for door or not will you need to line it all up let me know i will get what ever else you need .
dean
Dean, It's a good idea to have at least the door glass and guts in to properly align the doors. The glass adds a little weight to them, so once I have them set without the glass it can change when the glass is added, which would require realignment. Usually minor, but still nice to have it done once and forget it.

I'll be off today as this is the time I always volunteer with the boy scouts to help unload 2 semi trailer full of popcorn, sort it all out for each pack/troop and deliver it. Gonna be a long day and a sore back when it's all done.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Dean, great to see your '57 is moving forward!
Btw...210 ht side moldings you sent me, wayyy too many years ago are going on my '56 pretty soon :)
For my luck trifives will ever go out of style...no matter how many years you build em :sign0020:

I'm going to watch this project! Sierra/ adobe will look stunning!

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been a while since i had updated the progress on Bam bam' car. Been a we bit busy with life n a project i bought about a month ago. Just a sneak peak at that then i'll post all the updates on the 57.

Bought an 83 chevy stepside up near merill, wi. It was a project truck and all in pieces. In 3 weeks it had been disassembled. Body n paint done, rewired with power everything, motor trans, tranfer case installed, n interior done. Now it can set outside till i get other projects done.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts