Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, got a question, correct me if i'm wrong, but don't most paint companys suggest that you use epoxy primer on bare metal and then use high build urethane primer over your bodywork to block sand with? The reason i ask is because i got a couple of bodymen telling me that you should use etching primer first. But i read that some epoxys and urethanes can react to the acid base(etching) primers. So it is safer to start with epoxy from the ground up. What do you guys think? :)

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
Here's my opinion, and I'm sure someone will disagree.

The best way, and the most expensive way, is clean bare white metal with epoxy and then urethane primer surfacer.

Etch primer does have its potential problems for the reasons you say.

And there are those that say SPI epoxy all the way - but I won't argue that one again.

The other thing is what do you do if you don't have clean white metal? Do you use an acid type metal prep? I say yes, others say no.

This is like the great taste/less filling argument. There is no pat answer.

Please no wars over my answer. It's just my answer. l'm trying to get along.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would find out what the paint manufacturer recommends. What is recommended might also depend on how you got to bare metal..sand blasted, sanded, soda blasted, chemical stripped...etc. I use dupont products and always use etch primer on bare metal. I believe that PPG recommends against it, at least according to a paint rep. I've spoken to.

·
12,256 Posts
Many etch primers are not supposed to go over OR under fillers. So how do you use fillers with them? I say stick with regular epoxy, and then urethane or high-build primer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think all of you guys are right. Going to stick with the way i have always done it, epoxy and urethane. THANKS for the input. It's always nice to be reassured from time to time. :happy0030::congrats:

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
Best answer OMO

I would find out what the paint manufacturer recommends. What is recommended might also depend on how you got to bare metal..sand blasted, sanded, soda blasted, chemical stripped...etc. I use dupont products and always use etch primer on bare metal. I believe that PPG recommends against it, at least according to a paint rep. I've spoken to.
Do it the way you are told by manufactor........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts