Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing that most of you guys are like me-you really like cars.So the big question is "why do some 'car' sites go so far out of their way to bash the Big 3?

Nobody can argue that the dynamics of the car industry have really changed and these guys have a fair amount of ammo given the last 3 years.But once they get bored with hacking on the new stuff from Detroit, they'll pick something like a 55 Pontiac and try to compare it to a new Honda.

It's a lot like comparing a Stealth bomber with a B-17.Not really fair.But one thing's for sure-that B-17 was pretty effective in 1943 so what's the point of laughing at it in 2010? That's smug and arrogant and it makes me wonder why these sites even have the word "car" in them.

So we wrote what we thought about it...
http://www.mystarcollectorcar.com/4...-dont-love-car-sites-that-cheapshot-them.html

Attachments

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,400 Posts
I'm guessing that most of you guys are like me-you really like cars.So the big question is "why do some 'car' sites go so far out of their way to bash the Big 3?
My guess would be money and site hits which equal more money!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I hear ya, I get harassed all the time at work by a kid about how his Jap 4 cyl is faster than my V8 Chevy.

But then I ask him to find a 1956 Honda and then race me stoplight to stoplight.....and if he wants to keep comparing apples to oranges.....I'll go borrow my friends LS2 GTO.......

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I guess that I am lucky the pos imports arount here just make loud noise. i dont get the big exaust thing. I run 2.5 om my sbc & 3.0 on my bbc and they are 13-1 roller cam moters with Dart heads.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Some of the younger guys got into the imports 'cuz that's what was/is affordable for them...and overall most of the imports seem to have a better trade-in value and quality(I know, I know Toyota's problems) over a comparable Big 3 model...
Some of the younger guys are not much into hopping up their rides but are more into the bling-bling, sound systems, big wheels/skinny tires...while others can take that little Civic 4 banger and build it to put out 400+hp and can handle a road course or twisty stretch of highway far better than any Big 3 comparable model could ever hope to...for far less $$$ than some of us put into our vintage tin.

Each to their own I say...I don't much care for rat rods or bling-bling imports myself, or Mopars for that matter...but I won't bash someone for owning one...maybe question their sanity:sign0020:

As far as the bashing...I know some of y'all bleed Chevy orange and can't even bring yourself to spell out Ford in your posts:sign0020:

think about it... "Ye without sin cast the first stone" to paraphrase the Good Lord

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya, I get harassed all the time at work by a kid about how his Jap 4 cyl is faster than my V8 Chevy.

But then I ask him to find a 1956 Honda and then race me stoplight to stoplight.....and if he wants to keep comparing apples to oranges.....I'll go borrow my friends LS2 GTO.......
yeah-he'd be less 2 wheels and riding a Honda CUB prototype.

·
Registered
37,986 Posts
I guess I don't quite see the point of most of the comments.

In general, the young guys have their stuff and us old guys have our stuff. They don't care what we think about theirs, and we shouldn't get too worked up about it. Same for the reverse, there's no need for harsh words, they like what they like, let'm go.

But there's two other points.

One, the domestic automakers haven't exactly knocked themselves out lately in any category you want to measure.

Two, there are some Americans who are ashamed of what we are, what we've been, and what we've done through the years. Some of them are temporarily running the country. They want to apologise for all these things. I don't like that attitude. This is still a great place to live and work, even if we have a few problems. No Americans are sneaking across the border to Mexico to get a job; they aren't boarding rafts to go to Cuba or Haiti.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well, the big 3 deserved to get bashed for the products they put out in the 80's.... On another note, I 've purchased 3 new GM products in the last 6 years, still own all 3, and have had no issues outside of the tire pressure monitoring system on my 07 Impala. I try and buy cars with the least amount of bells and whistles. Less things to go wrong.

The best, the fastest and funnest car I ever owned was an Acura NSX! It was way better than my 01 Camaro SS. But I guess that's really not an apple to apple comparision.

·
Registered
957 Posts
...while others can take that little Civic 4 banger and build it to put out 400+hp and can handle a road course or twisty stretch of highway far better than any Big 3 comparable model could ever hope to...
Here's a link to a big 3 factory car that could probably whip just about any Honda they could imagine....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8g8w3dT_g

·
Registered
140 Posts
anytime one of the teen tuner crowd wants to find out how the POS honda keeps up with my 56 they get a taste of how penske double adjustable coilover shocks and wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes eats them alive in the corners and the aluminum head crate motor handles down the straights LOL

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I remember when every car commercial was dogging domestic cars and saying how much better the Honda was, or the Nissan was,blah, blah, blah. It was unfortunate how many people actually listened to all the those commercials. It's like everything else these days, people watch to much TV and believe what they hear. I think that is when it all started and things changed. Now I see alot of commercials from Chevy debating those 1980's slogans from the foriegn automakers. To me it seemed like it took a while for the big 3 to stand up and tell people that the American cars are better than the foriegn cars but I'm glad they finally started to stand up. Hopefully the Big 3 can climb back to the top.
I'm at least teaching my kids what our classic cars really mean and what it actually happens when you buy foriegn vehicles. As long as it says "Made in USA" on the bottom, I'm good :sign0020:
Josh

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I tell them to turn their radios down, I can't hear my country music over the sound of their rap, then I leave them behind. Made in USA. Charles

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Well, the big 3 deserved to get bashed for the products they put out in the 80's.... On another note, I 've purchased 3 new GM products in the last 6 years, still own all 3, and have had no issues outside of the tire pressure monitoring system on my 07 Impala. I try and buy cars with the least amount of bells and whistles. Less things to go wrong.

The best, the fastest and funnest car I ever owned was an Acura NSX! It was way better than my 01 Camaro SS. But I guess that's really not an apple to apple comparision.
I bet my 85 Cutlass will be going strong when your Acura is in the yard. The 77 it replaced is still going strong at 275,000 miles.I am sorry that you have never owned a fast fun car. The one thing I agree with you on is that tire pressure system, my moms Caddy has it and its %^$#@.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts