Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I know this is a dumb question, but I could use some help. My dad and I are working on our 55 with a 350 dropped into it when we bought it. There is no wiring in the car right now except the MSD box and coil. We are wanting to be able to turn over the engine and eventually run the motor before we do all of the full wiring. I am curious what the best way is to hook up the starter to turn the motor over. Dad is having a hard time remembering how the starter is to be wired and I will admit electricity has never been my strong suit.

The starter has the big post on it for the cable from the battery and a post with an R and one with a S. We have a basic ignition switch with an ACC, OFF, ON, and START position.

Like I said very basic here, just looking for simple wiring scheme to use the ignition switch to make the starter crank.

Thanks a ton

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
The starter has the big post on it for the cable from the battery and a post with an R and one with a S. We have a basic ignition switch with an ACC, OFF, ON, and START position.

Like I said very basic here, just looking for simple wiring scheme to use the ignition switch to make the starter crank.

Thanks a ton
A original type 55 ignition switch will have 2 ignition terminals. If your not going to run it for extended periods, connect ign1 and ign2 terminals together and run them to the + coil. Run a wire from the sol terminal of the switch to the S termial of the starter. Crank it up.

G

·
To basic run that setup, using the terminals you have b=given here, ACC, OFF, ON, and START

Ignition switch to:

Battery positive (+): to large post on solenoid with large gauge battery cable
Battery negative (-): to engine bolt, find one, bolt it up, large gauge cable

MSD LARGE RED wire: to battery positive (+) post
MSD LARGE BLACK wire" to battery negative (-) post

PLUS (+) or BATT on ignition switch: to battery positive, or large battery cable terminal on solenoid. This powers up the ignition switch

ON: to MSD SMALL RED wire

START: to solenoid S terminal

R terminal on switch: to MSD SMALL RED wire

MSD has two wires to coil, each has a round terminal on it

MSD has a two pin connector that will connect directly to the distributor connector, either directly, or by MSD supplied extension wire pair

NO ballast resistor is needed.

Strongly recommend you take a look on the underside of any MSD coil, and if it doesn't say "Made in USA", DON'T USE IT. MADE IN MEXICO or MADE IN CHINA MSD coils have high instances of being new defective and can take an MSD 6 series ignition box right out in less than a minute. If you have one of these Blaster coils, please, find a stock GM point type coil, and use it instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts