Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. On my '56 wagon, is the negative battery cable supposed to go to the firewall? I just got this car and pulled the old battery out. I was surprised to see it bolt to the firewall directly behind the battery.

Thanks

Trevor

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,024 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where on the engine is the best place to attach the ground from the battery? I see one bolt on the water pump with a stud sticking out from it that would work with a nut on it.

I got the old girl started for the first time last night. I did notice a very faint glow coming from the generator idiot light on the dash. Is that normal or indicative of a problem? I didn't think to stick a voltmeter on to see if it is charging or not, but the generator was just rebuilt and it has a new regulator on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
GARAGE DETAILS

That's the way it was originally, a ground strap to the firewall. .... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-12.gif ...... and another strap from the starter to the toe board. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-15.gif ..... As mentioned, unless your concerned about originality, I would use a cable directly to the engine and leave the ground strap from the starter to the toe board to ground the body.
Fellas, I'm new to the "Trifive Family", and really enjoy reading the Forum, and am amazed to the bountiful information that the members have. So, I ask this question. In the above quote, the two details refer to the Trifive.com/garage. Are those details available to other members? As I start the rebuild of my 57 wagon, that is exactly the information that I could sure use. Thanks, Ken :gba:

·
Administrator
49,498 Posts
Ken those links are to the assembly manual, to which are available here on site in the "tri five library" which is in the 4th section on the front page.
Terry

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
The negative cable on mine is attached to the engine block whilst there is a ground strap from the rear of the block to the firewall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts