Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im in the garage, got a few days off and im trying to get my battery cable from the battery box in the trunk to the starter.... Of coarse i already drilled the holes in the frame for the cable exiting the trunk floor Nd entering the frame. As well as drilled the hole out of the frame up near the engine compartment...... Okay now for the questions. I thought that it was a clear shot inside the frame.... Is it not open al the way through?..... I have a snake im trying to get through to fish a rope through but no joy. I can see though a factory hole that there is some kind of joining plate the nearly blocks it off.

So when you guys say you run the cable in the frame, where do you enter from the rear..... It appears as though i have to get over the rear end befor i can enter the main frame rail..... Thats dissapointing. Can anyone shed some light, what did you do?
Thanks
Gil...... Been fighting it for an hour

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
Is it not open al the way through?.
No they are not an open frame. There are walls/partitions all the way through the frame. I tried that once and gave up after a lot of wasted time.
Terry

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terry, i think that is what im finding out.

Gil

·
Registered
37,290 Posts
The bulkheads on a 2 piece frame have a triangular opening in each corner. Acardon has posted about running his battery cable through them. I don't know what size it will accept but I think it's big enough for most any battery cable.

You can see where each bulkhead is - it's riveted to the frame rail. The bulkheads were part of the fixturing to locate the 2 halves of the frame rail for welding.

A seamless (one piece) frame rail won't have the bulkheads like the 2 piece. However it has some welded splices front and rear. To be honest I don't know what's inside at the splices, but I'm quite sure someone does and will post it.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,025 Posts
The bulkheads inside the frame don't go all the way to the bottom. I was able to rotate the fish tape around and got it to go past the bulkheads.
Be sure and double insulate the cable, you can't clamp it, so some extra protection is desireable. I used existing holes to go in and out of the frame.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don, I have (plan) to have the cable exit about where you do , but where did you enter the frame in the rear?..... It seems the arch in my seamless frame has got maybe two spots where i cant get through, not to mention I cant see what I'm doing.

Gil

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,025 Posts
Don, I have (plan) to have the cable exit about where you do , but where did you enter the frame in the rear?..... It seems the arch in my seamless frame has got maybe two spots where i cant get through, not to mention I cant see what I'm doing.

Gil
I came out just behind the rear tire anjd entered the trunk through the shelf behind the seat bulkhead. Probably would be better to exit inside the frame but there was a hole on the outside.

Oops here's the picture.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What gage wire did ya'll use

Thinking about running battery from trunk, never thought about running thru frame rails (2 Piece) body is already on frame so it may not be possible.

thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I don't think the seamless frame will allow for this. I had to repair one and I remember some plates where the sections are welded together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts