Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a rapid drain on my battery for a month or so now, and after almost screwing up everything else in my car, ive pinpointed it down to the BAT fuse terminal. on the fuse block. when i take the fuse out, the drain stops. there are 3 wires connected to the terminal, one for the glove box light, and a red one and an orange one. when i plug either one of them out the JVC radio goes out and all of the lights go out. ive had the radio for a while and it hasnt caused any problems until now so im hesitant to declare it to be the problem.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have the radio wire in the wrong place I`ll attach original fuse box wiring, that fuse should be for the clock, glove box light and dome .

the radio needs constant voltage to maintain its settings and clock, wpuld the radio port support this? and my dash lights also seem to run off of the BAT fuse

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,082 Posts
Did you verify that the glove box light is not staying on when the door is closed?
The red wire should be on the hot (left) end of the fuse. There is more connected to the orange wire than listed and a short on any one of the circuits can cause the battery drain. The tail lights, brake lights, and dash lights are powered from that fuse along with the clock, glove box and dome light. Are the brake lights staying on because the pedal is not returning? Unplug the rear harness connector near the drivers kick panel to see if the drain stops.
The radio does need constant power and can be plugged onto that terminal. If you unplug the radio only, does the drain stop?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright ill try disconnecting that rear harness first. i have to go to work now so ill get back to this tomorrow! thank you for the insight!

·
27,082 Posts
alright ill try disconnecting that rear harness first. i have to go to work now so ill get back to this tomorrow! thank you for the insight!
Does the clock work? If not, it could be shorted.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
As Don has mentioned it could be a number of things causing the drain. You need to track it down by removing one thing at a time and check to see how many amps you are drawing with the key off. A modern radion should only pull about 10 to 15 milliamps and that won't cause a rapid battery drain. Just recently I was experiencing a similar issue and found my problem was the alternator, it takes a little time to track it down though. Good luck,

·
Administrator
66,988 Posts
Yes the radio needs a constant source of power to keep the settings, I was leaning towards the radio standby as the drain

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea ive been check8ng the l8ghts and all of them seem to be shutting off just fine. yea its a brand new battery and ive tested it by disconnecting and monitoring it

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
As I mentioned in an earlier post your going to have to chase down exactly what is causing the drain. First find out how many amps are being pulled with the key off, your radio should only pull about 10 to 15 milliamps and that will not kill a battery in 20 minutes. Do you have a Multimeter so you can check this?

·
27,082 Posts
no i dont have a multimeter, are they cheap?
If it's draining the batter in 20 minutes it's drawing way too much current, regardless of how much it is. You have apparently narrowed it down to the orange wire circuit. As I mentioned, the orange wire feeds a lot of things.
You can use a test light or a 12 volt light bulb socket with 2 wires. Disconnect the orange wire and connect one to the fuse terminal and the other bulb wire to the orange wire. If there is a current drain, the bulb will light.
The glove light socket can be shorted where the wire goes into the socket. If that's not it, disconnect the orange wire from the brake switch after you try the rear harness. Then disconnect the orange wire from the headlight switch.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
no i dont have a multimeter, are they cheap?
You can pick them up between $20.00 to $50.00 dollars, and they are a invaluable tool when working on electrical issues that may arise on these cars.

Don is our electrical expert on these cars so I would follow his advice on doing the troubleshooting. He has helped many here including myself.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay if i hold the drivers side door jam light button down to keep it off, and then touch the orange wire to the right side of the fuse i see large sparks.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,220 Posts
follow the orange wire it has a short or large draw on it somewhere.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts