Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many battery out now I don't know what to pick. I don't mind spending a little more for a good battery, but I don't need a optima, there too much. Im running a stockish 55 chevy with a stock 56 corvette 265 in it. What would be a good pick?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
There really are only two companies making typical car batteries right now, one is Johnson Controls and the other, Exide. Those two private label batteries for Sears, NAPA, Walmart, etc. So no matter what you buy, you'll get one or the other. I prefer NAPA batteries, probally because I like the store here where I live.

·
Premium Member
15,894 Posts
I just recently had to replace the 36 month battery in my 55 wagon. It was a battery made by Johnson Controls and labeled as an Interstate. It was 11 years old and never even had a battery tender on it. I have used Interstate batteries for years and have never had one go bad before the rated number of months was up. :tu

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Just picked up a Napa Legends battery. Replaces the original. It's a good pick!

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
I have a non maintained battery (all sealed unit) cannot top it up

Make sure it has a large cranking capacity

Also the best investment is a trickle charger that allows the battery to be charged in the car when not in use

:anim_25:

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
interstate or napa are the ones I used. both are great. :tu

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've always bought Interstate when I could but lately I haven't had good luck with them. I just replaced TWO interstate batteries in the last two years that both went bad. Both under warranty (both less than 1 year old) so no out of pocket cost other than the hassle of the R/R. When I went to swap out the dead battery in my '55 they gave me a new one and the post was leaking acid. Brand new battery leaking, so they traded it out again.

Sidenote: The longest life I ever got from a battery was from WalMart!

·
Premium Member
15,894 Posts
I've always bought Interstate when I could but lately I haven't had good luck with them. I just replaced TWO interstate batteries in the last two years that both went bad. Both under warranty (both less than 1 year old) so no out of pocket cost other than the hassle of the R/R. When I went to swap out the dead battery in my '55 they gave me a new one and the post was leaking acid. Brand new battery leaking, so they traded it out again.

Sidenote: The longest life I ever got from a battery was from WalMart!
Walmart batteries are also made by Johnson Controls the same company that makes Interstate batteries. :tu

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Walmart batteries are also made by Johnson Controls the same company that makes Interstate batteries. :tu
X2
Optimas are not worth the money anymore. I have started using Walmart batteries and replacing them in the rides as the old ones fail.

If it not a daily driver, I would buy a Battery Tender with the money you save.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
There really are only two companies making typical car batteries right now, one is Johnson Controls and the other, Exide. Those two private label batteries for Sears, NAPA, Walmart, etc. So no matter what you buy, you'll get one or the other. I prefer NAPA batteries, probally because I like the store here where I live.

I didn't know that about the batteries.....:tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the information, I will be going with a new interstate.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I bought an AC Delco from Walmart 4/13/95 (reciept still in the pouch) and it will still start my 57 if I start it every couple of weeks. Any longer and it needs a little charge. I'll be getting another AC, Exide, or NAPA because they're the same and so my fake tar topper fits.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
I bought an AC Delco from Walmart 4/13/95 (reciept still in the pouch) and it will still start my 57 if I start it every couple of weeks. Any longer and it needs a little charge. I'll be getting another AC, Exide, or NAPA because they're the same and so my fake tar topper fits.
I bought an AC Delco from Oreilley in 2000 for the 55. Still starting that ole girl! (And use a tender Jr. )

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I go to my local Battery Doctor reconditioned batteries $40. no tax or environmental stuff. The story with these are batteries that mechanics have wrongly diagnosed as bad they are perfectly good and I have used them in many cars with success plus like other say do a charge on them every 6 months keeps the plates clean.. My $.25 worth Pete

·
Registered
257 Posts
so theres only a couple battery manufacturers, that certainly doesn't mean they create all the batteries in one quality layer and brand them differently.
Theres only a couple shock absorber manufacturers but would you say a bilstein is better than the next?
I think absorbed glass mat batteries are still the best, if the quality of optimas has gone down I'm still willing to take the risk, half a gallon of battery acid sloshing around on the firewall seems more risky. but its just my opinion

1 - 20 of 23 Posts