Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Tri-Five Fans -

I recently bought a '57 Bel-Air Convertible. It's a decent driver, but I'm looking to completely restore it to show-quality driver. Prefer to go with a "pro touring" look so not original.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shops in the San Francisco Bay Area (Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, Wine Country?) that can handle this kind of job? (Body, Paint, New Engine, Custom interior)

Thanks in advance!

Wes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fellow Tri-Five Fans -

I recently bought a '57 Bel-Air Convertible. It's a decent driver, but I'm looking to completely restore it to show-quality driver. Prefer to go with a "pro touring" look so not original.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shops in the San Francisco Bay Area (Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, Wine Country?) that can handle this kind of job? (Body, Paint, New Engine, Custom interior)

Thanks in advance!

Wes
A shop in Cotati, called New Metal Kustomz. They're not cheap, but they do outstanding work! Phone 707-792-1964

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
Hi Wes, Get in touch with the Foley Brothers in Redwood City.
They have a shop that can cover most every need. They've helped my brother-in-law out with his '34 Ford Vicky project- fantastic work. He drops in now and then and they're never too busy to answer his questions or sort something out when he's stumped.
Here's their web site:
http://www.foleybros.com/

Here's a '56 Nomad project they completed:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I can strongly recommend Zane at Cotati Speed Shop in Santa Rosa, Jeff Twitchell at Hot Rod Speed Shop in Campbell, Brizio in SSF, Curt Hill of Hills Rod and Customs in Martinez.

PM me if you need me to put in a good word with any of them.
-bg8

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,608 Posts
Hey nobody mentioned Dominator in Tracy. Just remember lots of places can start these projects, but way less can finish them on time and correct.

If it was me I would ship it to Joe Lutz and let him do it:tu, quickly and correctly and probably cheaper than area bay area shop would be. We have all seen on here his great work:congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Wes,
Welcome aboard. You might want to check out Goodguys next month in Pleasanton. Might be some ideas/connections there for builders in the area. There always seems to be vendors around ready to help fulfill your dreams...read, spend your money!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome Wes!!

If I had to spend the money on a full resto or a ground up build I would look no further than Moal Coachbuilders. They have done cars for Tim Allen, Jay Leno, and a bunch of others....I know Mike, one of the owners, and they do outstanding work....and a plus, is they are really friendly guys over there (which you wont find at most of the high end builders in the area, atleast in my experience)

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for Feedback

For those that posted, I am still following, but moreover, I know there are a lot of folks in the Bay Area that are searching like myself and there really isn't much out there on the internet to guide us, so I know they are thankful as well.

I did call Roy Brizio and the gentleman said they are two years out and recently finished a '57 hard top for another customer with a price tag of $250K. I'm sure their work is worth it but I'm not one of the guys that can afford it.

I met a guy w/ a phenomenal '59 vette at Pleasanton who swears by Dan Laughlan Hot Rods in Anderson/Redding CA, but that guy is also booked out a couple of years.

I'm going to see who might be down at the Half Moon Bay show this weekend, but will also be following up with several of these suggestions. Thanks again!

BTW- for myself and others, any recommendations specifically for interior work in the Bay Area?

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,608 Posts
This is a tough request. Picking painters is tough cause one guy swears by them and another bad mouths him. The problem with a shop is they often change painters so it might explain why it's good once and six months later its bad.

I won't recommend anyone cause if it doesn't work out for you then it's all bad. Besides my painter would not appreciate throwing his name out there,he haired business than he wants and is choosy about his customers. I think many of the good individuals are like this.

I think your on the right track going to local shops and asking the car owners of cars you like the paint on. There sure were a few realy nicely painted cars at Dream Machines today.

·
Registered
587 Posts
For those that posted, I am still following, but moreover, I know there are a lot of folks in the Bay Area that are searching like myself and there really isn't much out there on the internet to guide us, so I know they are thankful as well.

I did call Roy Brizio and the gentleman said they are two years out and recently finished a '57 hard top for another customer with a price tag of $250K. I'm sure their work is worth it but I'm not one of the guys that can afford it.

I met a guy w/ a phenomenal '59 vette at Pleasanton who swears by Dan Laughlan Hot Rods in Anderson/Redding CA, but that guy is also booked out a couple of years.

I'm going to see who might be down at the Half Moon Bay show this weekend, but will also be following up with several of these suggestions. Thanks again!

BTW- for myself and others, any recommendations specifically for interior work in the Bay Area?
Depending on what you are looking for in interior work, I have a Brother-in-law in Sunnyvale that does fantastic work.
P/M me if your interested.
Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts