Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a '57 Chevy 150 Utility with an LT1 four speed that I built 18 years ago. Have a '67 Corvette 435 hp. BB that I would like to replace it with. Anyone have pic's of their '57 with a BB and stock not butcherd or cut up heater area? Any pic's of the radiator and steering area would be great to. Thanks, Lon

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Haven't finished yet but here are a couple photo's of steering using rack & pinion 454 big block

Otis / Trifive

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks tryfive. My car is old school as far as steering & brakes and if I go BB I will have to up grade. Don't know anything about the racks you guys are useing fill me in if you would. Is it power rack or? OK, I see the power steering pump! What does your heater area look like? My first choice is to leave that area as stock as I can. Nothing nicer than the feel and smell of the old heaters on a chilly day! Lon

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey tri5 (or anybody), do you have a pic of the heater area where the pass. valve cover is? Trying to decide if I want to modify my '57 Chevy 150 SB with a BB. A shot of the radiator area would be a plus! Thanks, Lon

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey Lon;
Mounting kits for the BBC are readily available, they move the engine/transmission forward 3/4 inch to clear the dist. at the firewall.
Have to watch the steering and haeders and I think the driveshaft has to be lengthened and the radiator has to be moved to the 6 cyl. position.
I know some of the other guys can give you more, just wanted to give my $.02's worth.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 4 info, I was more worried about the firewall/heater area. Years ago I put a 396 in a '57 and remember dippling the fire wall but I think I left that one in the stock tranny location and mada my own motor mounts. Don't want to modify this car, the other was a rust bucket. Lon

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PaPa, I have no problem making my own mounts I just want to see a BB in a 57 in the heater area! I want to see if I have to modify "something" for clearance between the heater outlets or the fire wall to the valve cover. Lon

·
Registered
37 Posts
PaPa, I have no problem making my own mounts I just want to see a BB in a 57 in the heater area! I want to see if I have to modify "something" for clearance between the heater outlets or the fire wall to the valve cover. Lon

I believe there is a 57 delivery van in the Roanoke area. I'll have to call around as I don't know who it belongs to. Would you accept a 56 or a Nomad?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jobber1, Thanks 4 the efforts but I will revise my "wants" to be in the great northwest area of Wa.St., Idaho, Oregon. Just don't want to travel anymore or pay a shipper. Thanks, Lon

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I will try to get you a photo, as far as I can see, if you use the side mounts and 1 inch forward, the heater will fit as long as you use standard height valve covers, tall valve will not work.

Otis

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hey Lon,
Most of the larger aftermarket suppliers for our cars offer a power or manual rack system. I am seriously considering the Maval (Unisteer) unit as it is an all new rack engineered specifically for our cars. They do offer all the accessories individually or as a kit. Everything is also available polished or chromed. Maval claims "no bump steer!" None of the systems are cheap. Maval is the most expensive I believe. Also try DF Brakes, Flaming River, CPP, Ecklers Classic Chevy, Danchuk etc. Good luck

Tom

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Otis, thanks 4 the pic's I know it's a pain and time consuming! They do help.

Tom, thanks 4 the info 2. I just have to figure out how far I want to take my car! Would be taking a perfectly good driver now and opening a can of worms to which there is no end. Will see, Lon

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Lon,
You would be taking "a perfectly good driver" adding modern performance conveniences and making it a perfectly GREAT driver. From the pictures you posted.........it looks to me like your used to opening the proverbial "can of worms". It's true.....one project leads to another and another and another etc. Good luck whatever way you go! Happy Holiday's!

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts