Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 396 4 spd,frtmt,orignal 55 bell housing.Has full length headers now,no ground clearance.Thinking about shorty headers.Any particular brands?If so please include brand and part#s.Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have Sanderson BB1

I have had Sanderson BB1s on my '56 since the early 90s. They work with the stock tranny mount frame horns. Exhaust routing is a little tricky, but fairly easy with 2 1/2" pipe. I have Heidt's dropped spindles and springs, and have few issues with ground clearance.

You can see on the passenger side I added heat wrap to the exhaust pipe to help shield a stock (not mini) starter from the heat.

The two driver side pics show that the header more than adequately clears the stock steering box.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Headers

I installed HD springs to get the headers off the ground.Very happy with the look and the ride.Hooker headers 2227 with front motor mount.454 th400

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have had Sanderson BB1s on my '56 since the early 90s. They work with the stock tranny mount frame horns. Exhaust routing is a little tricky, but fairly easy with 2 1/2" pipe. I have Heidt's dropped spindles and springs, and have few issues with ground clearance.

You can see on the passenger side I added heat wrap to the exhaust pipe to help shield a stock (not mini) starter from the heat.

The two driver side pics show that the header more than adequately clears the stock steering box.
What motor mounts are you using?

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
Hi, I used a bolt in 1" forward SB set of engine mounts and then moved them another 3/4" forward at the motor mount end buy cutting the end of the tubing and welding it at the front. Good day, Henry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Answer to motor mount question

"What motor mounts are you using? "

Using Hurst mounts that I bought for the car in 1974. Replaced the rubber pads once, about 5 years ago. Work great with side mounts in stock location (Danchuk kit bought many years ago) and rear tranny mount.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts