Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
changed the gm square port dual plane intake out...decided i wanted to try out the dart square port with the high runners(the summit 400 dollar one) ran into a little snag. i screwed in the studs for the carb...just hand tight as they bottomed out a little. anyways...i tightened the nut down on the carb and so it bottomed out on the stud but didn't secure the carb that great against the intake. so when i started the car, it was whislting dixie like crazy. i was, like, dude, the intake isn't moving, where is the sounds coming from...so i stuffed a rag to where the the high pitched whisltling was coming from. anyways long story short...i took the carb off...looked at the studs got some pliers tightened them down more...added 1 more washer underneith the carb...(i used to have a 1" riser) and everything was fixed. took it for a spin...drove nice untill the rag that was sitting on the grill (it got dark) got sucked into the electric fan. fan cut out and it got hot...jumped from 170 to 220 in like 2 minutes. Got home...a few blocks away. took the red rag out of the fan...new fuse. everything was cool. started up fine after it cooled down.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it runs a whole lot better on the top end...under 2k rpms it dropped off a little bit...but what should i expect?...it's a square port 454 with a dart intake that runs from 3500 to 7500. motor doesn't do 7500 rpms...but it sure revs a whole lot quicker now. it's got nice throttle response above 3k rpms...seems like a little bit more midrange to top end now. i could be wrong...cuz it's all seat of the pants driving attitude. but the exhaust sound changed a bit...seems a bit sharper and a little louder as well. i just love that sound...cherry bombs with 2 1/2's that cut out in front of the tire...fenderwell headers...bbc squareport. awesome

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Good Deal, Mine seemed to pick up even more low end torque. It feels good but just makes leaving with street tires more difficult. The main reason I changed was to try to help with ethynol boil on hot laps.:flag6: Blake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.