Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 646 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BDR's "Ground Up" 55 Sedan Project... (all new sheetmetal)

Okay, here we are Day 1, May 24, 2013 at the Paint & Body Shop in Kingwood, Texas.

All the sheet metal and other parts I ordered last week listed below have been delivered (note stack of boxes behind the Sedan). Which means, next Tuesday, we'll begin the re-skinning process of my 55 Chevy Sedan... here's a re-cap of everything we plan on doing.

1. Chevy Front End Sheet Metal Kit, Complete, V-8 Engine, 1955
Kit includes both front fenders, hood, inner fenders, 3 piece front cowling, radiator support bar and mount and outer radiator panels

a. I asked the paint & body shop to fit & gap the new front end prior to paint. Then after painting each individual piece, I'm having them buff everything out and bubble wrap all of the front end components so I can take them to my shop for installation later.

b. The reason I'm doing this is this presents the perfect opportunity to detail the engine bay and replace my headers prior to re-installing the freshly painted front end.

c. This way, I won't have to worry about scratching something up while messing around detailing the engine bay.

2. 1955-1957 Chevy Full Door Skin, Driver Side, 2-Door Sedan

3. 1955-1957 Chevy Full Door Skin, Passenger Side, 2-Door Sedan
(Both door skins include the frame around the windows)

4. Chevy Trunk Lid Skin, With Stock Holes, 1955

5. Chevy Quarter Panel, Complete, 2 Door Sedan, Right, 1955

6. Chevy Quarter Panel, Complete, 2 Door Sedan, Left, 1955
(Both Rear QP's also include the frame around the windows)

7. Chevy Windshield, Tinted, Shaded, Sedan Or Wagon, 1955

8. Chevy Windshield Weatherstrip, 1955

9. Chevy Grille, Chrome, 1955

10. In addition to the external paint, the Sedan will also be jammed out...

11. Also, the new paint will be a shade darker Blue Pearl, it's going to be beautiful when it's done.

So here's the last time you'll see it as it sits today, next week is a whole new beginning for this car as we begin putting it back together the "Correct Way" next week. Wish me luck... BDR...:cool:

Note all the large boxes behind the Sedan, that's all the goodies....:tu:tu:tu

·
Registered
899 Posts
the car looks great the way it is, is it that bad under the paint and do you really need complete front end with the fenders. you spent some dough on those parts. I wish my car looked like the blue one now. good luck and i'll keep watching. jeff

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
7,801 Posts
BDR, that's a pretty extensive rebuild, so it should come out looking just about perfect I reckon.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's why I call it my 15' Car... LOL!!!

the car looks great the way it is, is it that bad under the paint and do you really need complete front end with the fenders. you spent some dough on those parts. I wish my car looked like the blue one now. good luck and i'll keep watching. jeff
Jeff, understood, it looks fantastic in pictures and in person at 15' away, but get any closer and the fatal flaws start jumping out at you. at about 10' the runs in the paint start showing up and at 5' the pot marks and bubbles where the RUST is about to come through start becoming visible to the naked eye...:rolleyes:.... and if you start poking around those pot marks, chunks of BONDO start falling off....tdi :banghead:...

So there you have it! That's why I'm going through all this trouble and expense to do it correctly and actually save this 55 Sedan and make it my own... all the crap'n scrap will be gone forever...:tu:tu:tu

My goal it to make it as nice and worthy as my Black 55 Chevy HT...then I'll have two beauties...:tu:tu:tu

BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
899 Posts
I kind of figured that's what it was, it just seems like a lot. i got lucky on my car and only had to spend on body panels is about $700, and alittle hammer and dolly work. I searched for a long time. problem is i haven't been working on it. jeff

·
Registered
67,750 Posts
exciting times ahead for you. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To answer your question John, a little top end work did the trick...

What was the outcome on the motor BDR. Did you redo it or replace it? As I recall that was another case of putting perfume on a pig and no real rebuild had been done.
I think I'm okay with the engine for now. I rebuilt the top end, new lifters, push rods, installed roller rockers and taller valve covers. I also had to change out the 9" brake booster with a 7" to clear the taller valve covers which was necessary to accommodate the roller rockers...

I also had an issue with vapor-lock, so I rerouted the fuel line away from the headers.. In their hast to get the car running for a quick sell, they ran the copper fuel line within 1/8" of the passenger side header... So it was a no-brainer what was causing the vapor-lock...ya think!!! Now, unless I get caught at a light and the temp starts creeping up over 200 degrees, I don't have any issues with vapor-lock...

Since doing all this, the 454ci engine runs fine, it doesn't smoke or burn oil but it also doesn't have a whole lot of HP like the engine in my 55 HT. However, it's been reliable, starts and runs well, so that's what counts.

I also had issues with the starter, but since I switched to a new Meziere BB High Torque Starter, I've had no problems since, starts up great! :tu:tu:tu

I went from this.....

To this......rebuilding top end and installing new roller rockers...

To the end result... with new valve covers and 7" brake booster...

New Chrome 7" brake booster, painted master cylinder & intake manifold to match

·
Registered
899 Posts
try opening the spark plug gap, you get more spark and abit more power. it helped my 283 in my 64 Malibu ss. jeff

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, today the Reskin of my 55 Sedan Officially began, 6-4-13

Okay, all my Sheet Metal, New Windshield and Seal are now at the shop and we're ready to begin un-skinning my 55 Sedan for al the new stuff... man oh man, I'm already get'n excited!!!

BDR's 55 Chevy Sedan, Front End Removed 6-4-13 :tu

And when the new skin is on, this is the color I've chosen to cover it with. It's called Deep Impact Blue Pearl :tu:tu:tu

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Looks like another building saga!!! Can't wait for the updates. I just love watching this!!!:congrats::tu:anim_25::shakehands:

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Love the color and look forward to seeing more.:anim_25::congrats:

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
Okay, all my Sheet Metal are now at the shop and we're ready to begin un-skinning my 55 Sedan for all the new stuff... man oh man, I'm already get'n excited!!!
Please inform us of the problems the body shop has with the full quarter panels. Ive read some bad reviews. Maybe the body shop could take some indepth photos/video of the installation process. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bad reviews..? uh oh..!! say it ain't so!!!

Please inform us of the problems the body shop has with the full quarter panels. Ive read some bad reviews. Maybe the body shop could take some indepth photos/video of the installation process. Thanks
Not sure if I can get them to provide any video, but I do plan to take a lot of detailed pictures along the way of the entire project. I will take a few videos with my iPhone, but they will be short and won't show the entire process, but may be better than nothing. :tu

I'm told the body man they assigned to my project in this particular shop has replaced full quarters on about half a dozen 55 Chevy's in the past and is touted as being one of the very best....:rolleyes: (heard that one before...) We shall see. :tu

So, as the reskin’n project begins to take shape, we’ll be able to tell real quick if this guy has any talent and they were being forthright with their praises… and all of you will see it in coming pictures. :tu

I sure hope they're right, I've got a lot rid'n on this Sedan...:p3:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"The Money Pit"... 55 Sedan Project

Well, now that I'm spending all that money on sheet-metal and paint, I can hardly ignore the other rest of the details.... :rolleyes: So here's what I ordered yesterday from various suppliers.

Danchuk 06-06-13
1955 Chevy Grille Moulding, Complete Set
1955 Chevy Hood Bird (Best)
1955 Chevy Hood Emblem w/Bezel (Best)
1955-1956 Chevy Stainless Hood Hinge Hardware Kit
1955 Chevy Front End Sheet Metal Screw Set
1955-1956 Chevy Firewall-to-Hood Seal, 1955-1957 Truck (Best)

Classic Chevy
1955 Grille,Chrome
1955 Chevy Windshield, Tinted, Shaded
1955 Chevy Windshield Weatherstrip

SUMMIT RACING
ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT
ARP-400-1104 HEADER BOLT KIT
HED-18048 (GA) GASKETS
HEDMAN-68256 (CA) FULL LENGTH HEADERS

..Now I'm thinking new radiator, but not sure which one I want to go with yet, but I'll figure it out. (the list never seems to end does it...??!!! :tu)

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Hey BDR, if i were you, I would throw all the receipts away before you start thinking about adding them up. Just remember you are saving a car that will be a great ride for years to come. Keep those pictures comin'.

·
Registered
899 Posts
yeah the list never ends but keep your eye on the finished product, when your done you'll have exactly what you want. jeff

1 - 20 of 646 Posts