Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will those hubs go on the stock 55 Chevy spindles? and have roller bearings?

7,082 Posts
Yes. All you have to do is grind the rivets off on the 55 hubs and knock out the hub. Put the new hub in the stock 55 drums. No rivets necessary. You now have roller bearing that are better and inexpensive. Very doable. Lloyd :bowtier:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
If you use 61-68 full size chevy hubs, bearings to use are A6 inners and A2 outers found at any oreilly, napa, etc. very simple upgrade!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a set of front brakes for a 1966 Chevelle hubs, spindles, brakes and everything any chance that would just bolt on?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have a set of front brakes for a 1966 Chevelle hubs, spindles, brakes and everything any chance that would just bolt on?
No. You have some bad information. The direction of the lower ball joint taper on the Chevelle spindle is opposite to that of the '55-'57 spindle so they do not bolt up. Also, you can't use the chevelle hubs either, they move the wheels outward 7/8". You need '61-'68 Impala hubs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, does anyone have a extra set of the right hubs sitting around i can buy?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,837 Posts
Well, does anyone have a extra set of the right hubs sitting around i can buy?
Put an ad in the classified forum....Your quest will get better visability there.....Ya just never know :)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Chevelle hubs have a different offset and won't work.
It's been stated on this site in other topics that '79-'81 Trans Am rear rotors fit on the Impala hubs. Are all of the '61-'68 Impala drum hubs the same? I have a new set of Bendix rotors purchased from Summit Racing and the Impala hub OD is too large to fit into the rotor. The rotor is 6.25 ID whereas the hub is 6.3125 OD. I positively have '65 drum hubs as I removed them personally. Can you shed any light on the situation? I will turn down the hub OD to fit, but I'd like the correct information presented to others considering the swap.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
you're right zookpr, I didn't read careful enough. I know I read it somewhere about machining the hub smaller to get the rotor to fit. but can't seem to find it now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can I use the impalas seals (new)? Or is there a special one I need? Anyone have a number for it?

Thank you

·
Registered
37,487 Posts
The Impala seal should be fine.

I don't know whether all 61-68 hubs need to be turned down or not. Or if all Trans Am rotors are the same diameter at that location. It's not too surprising that it's needed. The same problem can occur when you use those rotors on a rear disc conversion too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
61-68 Hubs and TransAm rotors

Today I purchased a pair of TransAm rear rotors from a NAPA store item number 18A123. They fit the 61-68 hubs that I have without any machine work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts